Bronze cleaning

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

MikeG

Bronze cleaning

Post by MikeG »

I know I should have left well enough alone and now I might have a problem.

I found a product "Quickshine Copper and Brass Cleaner". I tried it on the winches and other fittings. I did follow the directions. The winch stands came out pretty well with a slight pinkish color but the winches themselves came out looking like they were made of copper, the color of a penny but not shinny.

Has anyone had this "problem"? Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I did try to see if it was only a surface color so I buffed it. In that area I have a shinny copper color. I thought that maybe I did not leave it in the solution long enough but am afraid to try again.

Can anyone give help. Mike
Mike G

Bronze cleaner

Post by Guest »

Mike,
From what you have said, I do not thinkyou have done any surface damage. My primary winches buff to a shiny bronze but my staysail winch buffs to a shiny copper look. What works well for me is nevr dull wading polish . Rub mildly until you feel that you are breaking through the surface. Thereafter you can rub more vigorously. Let dry to white haze. buff shiny clean with your old undershirt. If your vessel is still on land, you can save the buffing until you are in the water as this will preserve it a bit longer.

good luck,
Charlie
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Bronze cleaning

Post by Neil Gordon »

Leave it alone, go sailing, and eventually it will turn that lovely green color again.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

buffing bronze

Post by Steve Laume »

You could go crazy and buff them. I could not help myself on the builders plate and the handle on the head seacock. I am resisting messing with anything else. A wire brush will take off lots of heavy stuff on really grubby pieces. I hope time solves any issues with your winches, Steve.
Ken
CD28, #368
Ipswich, MA

Bronze Cleaning

Post by Ken »

Mike,

Last spring I serviced my winches. The grease had dried out, hardened and had a fair amount of salt impacted in it. The hardened grease was very difficult and time consuming to remove from all the gear teeth. After finishing one winch, I soaked the next in white vinegar. The vinegar dissolved all of the salt and loosened the grease. It was much easier to clean the gear teeth. As an unwanted by-product the vinegar removed all of the tarnish and I wound up with the "pink winch" syndrome you describe. I sailed last summer with a pink winch and a green winch, and yes it drew several comments. However, as Neil mentioned, by the end of the season, the pink winch had tarnished to nearly the same green patina as the other.

As you can tell I'm not into buffing and polishing my bronze. The varnish work is enough for me.

-- Ken
rtbates

rubbing off protective coating

Post by rtbates »

You do realize that the green film you're removing is what keeps the metal protected from the enviroment.

randy 25D Seraph #161