Volvo Engine on CD 30k

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Hayes

Volvo Engine on CD 30k

Post by John Hayes »

I am looking seriously at a 1978 cd30 ketch. I am a little concerned about this particular boat only because of the engine, a Volvo MD7A. I have no experience with Volvo diesels, but have only received neutral to negative comments on them in general as to reliability. Any specific comments would be appreciated. Also, would this have been the standard engine installation on this boat? I am looking forward to joining the CD fleet.

John Hayes
currently boatless
volker
Panama city Florida

Post by volker »

John
I don't think you'll get too much negative feedback from anyone here on the Md7A. True that volvo bashing is a national pastime. Mine is a 1977 and has never even as much as sputtered. If you like the boat and the engine looks and runs to your satisfaction go ahead and make your deal
John Ring

MD7A is Fine

Post by John Ring »

My 1979 CD28 has the original raw water cooled MD7A in it. It's a little smokey at times, but always starts right up and it runs great.

I love the simplicity and compact size of the MD7A. When it does eventually die, I will have its corpse rebuilt, rather than replace with a different motor. That's a pretty strong endorsement.

John Ring
CD28 Tantalus
mruhnke

md7a

Post by mruhnke »

I have a MD7a on my 1977 CD30K. Its starts wonderfully and solidly all the time. Some local engine shops say its a great engine and it should last for a very long time if itis taken care of.

You should spray it with an engine protectector (grease in a bottle) to prevent corrosion that could make it fail.

It can be a little under powered when going into a stiff sea.

Good engine , good luck with it.
Jim Lewis

Re: Volvo Engine on CD 30k

Post by Jim Lewis »

I will continue to use the original MD7A as long as it can be rebuilt.
Good luck.......I have had this boat well over 20 yrs.
Jim Lewis