appraisal CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve I

appraisal CD27

Post by Steve I »

Has anyone had a appraisal on a CD27 ( approx. 1977 or so )recently? In good working condition. I'm curious about approx value.

Thanks Steve I.
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

Steve,

Value is entirely based on condition and equipment. We bought our '81 cd 27 for $12.5K. Extensive refit has brought the investment up to about $30K.
Mark Abramski
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Steve,
Go ahead and take a look on yachtworld.com under boats for sale. They usually have a bunch of CDs for sale all the time. Just fill out the on line request and viola...plenty to check out. They have 11 CD27s on there now including a 1977 model for 17K. There's one for over 50K but that was literally torn apart and rebuilt.

http://www.yachtworld.com
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Kurt »

If you contact Boat U.S. insurance or another reputable insurance company, they should be able to give you a value. My 1980 CD27 has a blue book value of around $18,000. When I had it surveyed in 2002, the surveyor put a replacement value (new boat) of $125,000 on it. One final note...blue books place values on boats and autos...but they don't write checks. Negotiate your best price!
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Reason for?

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Is the appraisal for insurance shopping, a purchase, a sale, or just plain curious??? If its for a purchase/sale, you also have to look at things like, what is included in the transaction, the condition of the boat vs the amount of work you want to put into it (a premium if you are talking about a pristine boat and don't want to do any work on her), etc. Also search in the archives, as this question has been asked many times for many different boats, including the CD27.
Gigi

1977 Cape Dory

Post by Gigi »

A good reference is the book written by Peter Baumgartner called London Goes to Sea which is all about his 1977 CD 27. A great read and a lot of information. I bought a 1977 CD 27 last summer for $15,000.00.
Bill Goldsmith

Value depends on ...

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

As said, value depends on many things, generally falling into the categories of condition, replacements and upgrades.

A CD27 with, say, a factory installed teak laminated bowsprit, a repowered diesel, recent West System 10-coat barrier coat, brand new sails, brand new standing and running rigging, recently updated Sunbrella interior cushions, a new upgraded traveler, all new and upgraded winches (including self-tailers), a new single line reefing system, new Spartan midship cleats rabbeted into toerail, a new Autohelm 2000+ tiller pilot integrated with a new Garmin 176C GPS, new charging system with upgraded Balmar Alternator, a new Origo stove, new electric and manual bilge pumps & hoses, a new Raritan head complete with bronze siphon-breaks and new hoses, and a new Sealand 15 gallon holding tank is going to command at least a couple more bucks than an all-original 27 with no improvements, replacements or upgrades.

I think it depends on whether:

a) If you want an upgraded and updated boat, if you'd spend extra on a well-loved CD27 or would rather do the TLC and $$$ yourself so you have control over what and how done,

or b) you just want a basic bare-bones CD27 that may be seaworthy but lacks bells and whistles.

My guess is the range of value (assuming seaworthy and operational) is $12,000 to the low-to-mid 20's. (But see Mark A. who has $30K in his 27 already. And an AMAZING 27 was recently listed on yachtworld for over $50K (I can't remember the exact asking price). That one was restored to better-than-new, all new spars, you-name-it. CD27s are very loveable boats!!

Bill Goldsmith
CD32#2
Loonsong

P.O. CD27#173
Second Chance
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

But there is usually room to negotiate

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Like when the P.O. takes the batteries, but makes up for it by including (now) seven stands w/ the boat.
Should also mention that the repower was an upgrade(!) to a 20hp Yanmar w/ fresh water cooling.
And it should not be forgetten, a killer sound system to scare the fish and annoy the other boaters.

All thing to factor in...
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

One other factor that hasn't been mentioned is location. Here in the Pacific Northwest, boats are a bit more expensive.

Bob
CD 27
Everett, WA