Typhoon 19 v. Sea Sprite 23

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marty anderson

Typhoon 19 v. Sea Sprite 23

Post by marty anderson »

Anyone have any opinions on the virtues/vices of the 19' Typhoon versus the Sea Sprite 23?

I sail Buzzards Bay, MA with heavy chop and sudden heavy winds above 20 knots.

Thanks.

martyand@tiac.net
Dana Arenius

Re: Typhoon 19 v. Sea Sprite 23

Post by Dana Arenius »

Hi,

Sure can! I owned a 1981 Seasprite 23 (Hull #731)for four years until 1985 when I bought a CD26. Although I am in Virginia now, I was from Massachusetts and sailed both boats in Buzzards Bay, Block Island, Long Island Sound, etc. We sailed out of Point Judith, RI. I know what you mean about the chop in Buzzards Bay. Both of the boats (Typhoon and SS23) are fine boats but if you had a choice for about the same money....take the SS23. The SS23 is more compariable to the Typhoon Senior or the CD22. All are Alberg boats (SS23 was 1957).

She is a high aspect ratio, 7/8 rig with about 150 sq feet of main, 93 sq feet of working jib, 11 foot boom. Very powerful to windward. Because both boats have the wine glass shape, both do not pound in the Buzzard Bay chop. But with the longer SS23 waterline, she will "bridge thru" between the waves better. The SS23 moves in light air very easily but you would find that you must reef early (16 knots). Both are tender at the dock but really stiffen in the breeze. The most "weather" we sailed in was 8 foot seas. You would find that it would easily keep up the most boats in the 26-28 foot range....basically because it was orginally designed as a racer. Hence the large foredeck, etc. The mast is as tall as my CD26.

My wife and I found ourselves crusing on the SS for a week at a time. With sitting room only, especially on some rainly days...we traded for the CD26.

Let me know if I can answer anything for specific.]

Dana

arenius@jlab.org
Warren Milberg

Re: Typhoon 19 v. Sea Sprite 23

Post by Warren Milberg »

I agree with most of what Dana says re the comparison of these boats. I sailed a SS23 on the Chesapeake Bay for the last four years and loved the boat. A great and able sailor. I sailed alone alot and found that a joy on the Sea Sprite. Easy to handle in all conditions. I hardly ever reefed, even when the winds were over 20 kts. I preferred the full main and a very small spitfire jib. The boat would point beautifully like that. But both would be "wet" boats from the spray and wash ov

hmseconomy@aol.com