Asking for opinions on 33' Cape Dory

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Nolan

Asking for opinions on 33' Cape Dory

Post by Tom Nolan »

We used to own a 28' Cape Dory that we sailed along the Southeast coast of Florida for several years. We liked the way the boat sailed and appreciated the 25 hp Volvo for negotiating the inlets and intercoastal waterway. We sold the boat when the kids came along but it may be time for another. Please post any opinions on the 33' both positive and negative. Are there any years that are better than others? What configurations were available for the interior / engine / sail plan?
Thanks, Tom
John Keyes

Re: Asking for opinions on 33' Cape Dory

Post by John Keyes »

Tom Nolan wrote: Please post any opinions on the 33' both positive and negative. Are there any years that are better than others? What configurations were available for the interior / engine / sail plan?
I've had my CD33 for one season so far and love it. SPREE is hull #12, built in 1980. She's sloop rigged, although I believe that the CD33 was also available as a cutter. I've got a great 27hp Yanmar diesel, which the previous owner put in three years ago to replace the original Volvo.

No complaints, other than one small deck leak that I've had trouble tracking down. I believe that nearly everything on the boat, aside from the engine, is original equipment. It's stood up quite well, although the boat was out of the water unused for a few years between engines.

Going up this weekend to paint the bottom...getting ready for May 1 launch!

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

John
Cape Dory 33 SPREE
Robinhood, Maine

keyes@openmarket.com