CD25 and dinghies

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Jamieson

CD25 and dinghies

Post by Jim Jamieson »

I am looking into inflatable dinghies that would be suitable for towing after a Cape Dory 25D. I have a 2hp outboard and usually will need it only for 2-3 people. Any suggestions regarding make and type would be very helpful.
thanks,
jim

James.Jamieson@Yale.Edu
Arenius

Re: CD25 and dinghies

Post by Arenius »

We have had a Bombard AX-2 (7-1/2') with a 2HP Yamaha since 1986 to use with our CD26. Besides towing behind, it has slatted floor boards which allow it to be rolled up and stowed in really bad weather
It has been a good boat and only had one seam to repair. I left it accidently stored once in a very hot attic. I had to reglue it .
If you need a little bit more room, the AX-3 is also nice (8-1/2'). I would recommend at least 15" tubes and the style where the motor mount is placed forward between the tubes. I have seen rafts whose motor is not
recessed between tubes flip over backwards with engines on them when the wind picks up and they are not loaded with people. (The weight of an engine is too great at the extreme aft end of the boat). A model
which can be fitted with a forward spray diverter canopy is very helpful for choppy water.

Dana

arenius@jlab.org