GULF STORM

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

winthrop

GULF STORM

Post by winthrop »

it happen to me in the spring of 98 crossing the gulf from clear lake texas to clear water florida.
it was early spring day and i just finest putting food and water and clothing on board for the trip. that would last for the ten days, like alwas: i have made that trip eight times over.
it was saturday morning when i kiss's my wife and kids and drove down to the boat, and said good bye to the harbor master and gave him my trip plans for the eighth time, he said be careful and have fun on your trip.
i got to my easy rider {typhoon 75} and she was loaded down with all the suppiest and ten gallons of gas for the motor and everthing was on board.
i started the little four horse power motor up and left the ledgent point marina at 11;00 am i went thru the channel with twenty other boats, but i was the only one crossing the gulf today.
i was out in the coast on a nice sunny day and the winds and the waves are picking up around twenty five knots and the waves around six to eight footers, heading out on the course of s.e. course on the last for days, before heading in to mobile than on to clear water florida.
all thought the night of that april and into the next day easy raced along before the wind we had encountered, it was exhausting for the sea grew heavier ever hour. waves slammed into our starboard side with out warming, and it was all i could do to handle the sheet and the tiller and stay on course. but i was determining to hang on, tired sore and scared so i kept sailing on through the day and into the cold night.
i was on a line between maximun speed and minimum safety, the wind pulled a trick and in crease in force in so much untill whammo, a puff caught the main at the same time and a wave struck the stern of easy and spun around a full ninety degrees. paying no attention what ever to my frantic yank on the tiller. she wound up and stopped dead in her tracks and facing in to the wind, her flogging sails snapping in the wind like fire crackers.
fortunately she started drifting back ward almost at once and the rudder drew her stern around so that she went over to port tact and the flogging stopped, the sails were saved.
a few minutes later the main was down and lashed to the boom and we were continuing on our way the jib alone, we sped along almost as fast as before the wind in those few minutes had increased a lot. by the first lightening of the horizon signaled the approach of the day break and the blessing of the sun warmth, the wind had moved all the way around to the west and now blew from directly astern, for a while the sea was confused. they grew higher and steeper as they bore in from behind, flinging us forward in spasms of breakneck speed, sizzling foam, we giddily down the forward slope of a breaking wave, paused for a moment in the trough as the wave raced ahead of them, when the next one graded us, repeated the maneuver, on and on, it was exciting, it was also dangerous. easy in that position could knock her down and even roll her over and over,it might dismast her and sink her. as soon as i got the bucket anchor out, the jib down, the stain on my nerves eased up and i could almost relax. easy seemed to appreciate the change too. the water sluiced across her deck less often, but the waves continued to grow, i could see them clearly in the day light as high as the mast or higher {26 /30 feet} what really made my hair stand on end was the sight of one of those snowy tops, curving forward and sending an avalanche of tons of hissing water. what if one of those mountains rammed into easy broad side, i was tired, so far i gone more than two days with out sleep.
i thought how wonderful it would be to crawl into the cabin and at least get out of the reach of the whether and let east take care of her self, so i did and sat in my easy chair on the floor, it would have been a splendid time, while we riding to sea anchor, helpless, for a big freighter to come along and run us down. we made a good target with two hundred feet of line stitched out from the bow. what happen soon afterward happened so fast and believe it or not, so unexpectedly, that i still don't have a clear picture of it in my mind? i remember i was reveling in the growing warmth of the cabin and in a wall of hissing foaming water knocking her down flat and battering her into the ocean and me seeing the depths of the ocean, it had all happen so fast, that i was looking down thru the port hole and things fallings all around me, what should have taken a few moments lasted to long,and easy came right side up. water was ever where i look out side, but inside was a mess ever where, but no water inside at all, good, but was the mast still there and ever thing else. i had been given a bad scare, easy was still right up and clear of water. easy nor i had suffered so much as a scratch. there would be no more nights in the cockpit from now on...
after the first four days was so fine sailing, we made runs of 85 miles and 90, 100, 95 mile runs which was good for a typhoon of her size. that storm was the biggest storm i had ever encountered in this boat, after that storm. it had taken us so far out of your way towards our destination, we stayed on s.e course that that it had taken us out farther into the middle of the gulf. easy is a good boat and stayed on her course untill the storm was over now, i changed her course e.n.e to clear water, we were not headed to mobile any more because we were due south of thier. three and half days later we saw land of clear water area and it was beautiful day and the winds and the gods were nice to us. we had nice small gale winds for the last thirty or so hours, with two set of reefing points in the main and a small jib up. we were flying across the water, that was the hardest trip we had to do to this day. when we got to john and mary house on the water there dog was welcoming us thier, i took easy out of the water the next day, and check her out, she was fine and did a great job at that.
the trip back, i went the same way, staight across and it was a lot easier that way, no more going into mobile that added two more days to my trip. sailing back was fine, we did get cot out in two small gales, but that was not as bad like the other storm.

easy chair....
if you are seating in my easy chair, between the forward berths and on the floor you can reach ever thing from your seat...

thank you all for reading this story. if you like it, it will be in sca maybe in up coming issue or two.
happy sailing winthrop and easy rider.....
randy bates

good read ,thanks

Post by randy bates »

Winthrop:
Sounds like an adventure.
Run it through speel checker before publishing.

Randy 25D Seraph #161
winthrop wrote: it happen to me in the spring of 98 crossing the gulf from clear lake texas to clear water florida.
it was early spring day and i just finest putting food and water and clothing on board for the trip. that would last for the ten days, like alwas: i have made that trip eight times over.
it was saturday morning when i kiss's my wife and kids and drove down to the boat, and said good bye to the harbor master and gave him my trip plans for the eighth time, he said be careful and have fun on your trip.
i got to my easy rider {typhoon 75} and she was loaded down with all the suppiest and ten gallons of gas for the motor and everthing was on board.
i started the little four horse power motor up and left the ledgent point marina at 11;00 am i went thru the channel with twenty other boats, but i was the only one crossing the gulf today.
i was out in the coast on a nice sunny day and the winds and the waves are picking up around twenty five knots and the waves around six to eight footers, heading out on the course of s.e. course on the last for days, before heading in to mobile than on to clear water florida.
all thought the night of that april and into the next day easy raced along before the wind we had encountered, it was exhausting for the sea grew heavier ever hour. waves slammed into our starboard side with out warming, and it was all i could do to handle the sheet and the tiller and stay on course. but i was determining to hang on, tired sore and scared so i kept sailing on through the day and into the cold night.
i was on a line between maximun speed and minimum safety, the wind pulled a trick and in crease in force in so much untill whammo, a puff caught the main at the same time and a wave struck the stern of easy and spun around a full ninety degrees. paying no attention what ever to my frantic yank on the tiller. she wound up and stopped dead in her tracks and facing in to the wind, her flogging sails snapping in the wind like fire crackers.
fortunately she started drifting back ward almost at once and the rudder drew her stern around so that she went over to port tact and the flogging stopped, the sails were saved.
a few minutes later the main was down and lashed to the boom and we were continuing on our way the jib alone, we sped along almost as fast as before the wind in those few minutes had increased a lot. by the first lightening of the horizon signaled the approach of the day break and the blessing of the sun warmth, the wind had moved all the way around to the west and now blew from directly astern, for a while the sea was confused. they grew higher and steeper as they bore in from behind, flinging us forward in spasms of breakneck speed, sizzling foam, we giddily down the forward slope of a breaking wave, paused for a moment in the trough as the wave raced ahead of them, when the next one graded us, repeated the maneuver, on and on, it was exciting, it was also dangerous. easy in that position could knock her down and even roll her over and over,it might dismast her and sink her. as soon as i got the bucket anchor out, the jib down, the stain on my nerves eased up and i could almost relax. easy seemed to appreciate the change too. the water sluiced across her deck less often, but the waves continued to grow, i could see them clearly in the day light as high as the mast or higher {26 /30 feet} what really made my hair stand on end was the sight of one of those snowy tops, curving forward and sending an avalanche of tons of hissing water. what if one of those mountains rammed into easy broad side, i was tired, so far i gone more than two days with out sleep.
i thought how wonderful it would be to crawl into the cabin and at least get out of the reach of the whether and let east take care of her self, so i did and sat in my easy chair on the floor, it would have been a splendid time, while we riding to sea anchor, helpless, for a big freighter to come along and run us down. we made a good target with two hundred feet of line stitched out from the bow. what happen soon afterward happened so fast and believe it or not, so unexpectedly, that i still don't have a clear picture of it in my mind? i remember i was reveling in the growing warmth of the cabin and in a wall of hissing foaming water knocking her down flat and battering her into the ocean and me seeing the depths of the ocean, it had all happen so fast, that i was looking down thru the port hole and things fallings all around me, what should have taken a few moments lasted to long,and easy came right side up. water was ever where i look out side, but inside was a mess ever where, but no water inside at all, good, but was the mast still there and ever thing else. i had been given a bad scare, easy was still right up and clear of water. easy nor i had suffered so much as a scratch. there would be no more nights in the cockpit from now on...
after the first four days was so fine sailing, we made runs of 85 miles and 90, 100, 95 mile runs which was good for a typhoon of her size. that storm was the biggest storm i had ever encountered in this boat, after that storm. it had taken us so far out of your way towards our destination, we stayed on s.e course that that it had taken us out farther into the middle of the gulf. easy is a good boat and stayed on her course untill the storm was over now, i changed her course e.n.e to clear water, we were not headed to mobile any more because we were due south of thier. three and half days later we saw land of clear water area and it was beautiful day and the winds and the gods were nice to us. we had nice small gale winds for the last thirty or so hours, with two set of reefing points in the main and a small jib up. we were flying across the water, that was the hardest trip we had to do to this day. when we got to john and mary house on the water there dog was welcoming us thier, i took easy out of the water the next day, and check her out, she was fine and did a great job at that.
the trip back, i went the same way, staight across and it was a lot easier that way, no more going into mobile that added two more days to my trip. sailing back was fine, we did get cot out in two small gales, but that was not as bad like the other storm.

easy chair....
if you are seating in my easy chair, between the forward berths and on the floor you can reach ever thing from your seat...

thank you all for reading this story. if you like it, it will be in sca maybe in up coming issue or two.

randy.bates@baesystems.com
winthrop

Re: good read ,thanks

Post by winthrop »

randy bates wrote: Winthrop:

Randy 25D Seraph #161
hi Randy... sorry, yes i will..
thanks, winthrop
randy bates wrote:
winthrop wrote: it happen to me in the spring of 98 crossing the gulf from clear lake texas to clear water florida.

easy chair....

Sal Randazzo

Re: good read ,thanks

Post by Sal Randazzo »

Winthrop:
Great story - makes me happy I bought a Typoon. This summer will be the first time I get to sail her.

winthrop wrote:
randy bates wrote: Winthrop:

Randy 25D Seraph #161
hi Randy... sorry, yes i will..
thanks, winthrop
randy bates wrote:

easy chair....

srandazzo@consumerworks.com
Neil Braun

that was grand!

Post by Neil Braun »

Splendid story!
THANKS!
John D

Re: GULF STORM

Post by John D »

Hi Winthrop,

I want to tell you how much I enjoyed reading about your trip across the Gulf with Easy. What I liked best were the little nuances that complemented the high points of the saga.

You kissed your wife and kids and then embarked on your journey to Clearwater. But you didn't go alone, you and Easy went on the trip together. You relied, depended on each other. Several times you mention "we" and "us". Then when you finally set the sea anchor, you went below and rested. Easy was grateful,too.

It is a great story. Good luck in the future.

John D
Oswego, NY

easy chair....

winthrop

Re: that was grand

Post by winthrop »

Neil Braun wrote: Splendid story!
THANKS!
hi..thanks everone, my boat is set up for off shore sailing, her standing rigging is one size larger and she has foam in her bow and stern, and air bags to bow and stern also, so please do not try any thing like that. i have made alot of changes to her also. i have been sailing for the last thirty years on dozen boats.
besides i found my notes from back then and i am going to changes it around a little. before i send it off.
thanks again for reading it. happy sailing
winthrop
George Shaunfield

Post by George Shaunfield »

Winthrop,

Thanks for sharing that adventure with us. Two things are obvious:
1. You are a good sailor
2. You prepared Easy well for her to take such a beating without breaking.

Congratulations,
George

georgeSPAMNOT @ accountron.com

Post by Guest »

George Shaunfield wrote:Winthrop,

1. You are a good sailor

Congratulations,
George

dam what a trip, never seen this one.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
George Shaunfield wrote:Winthrop,

1. You are a good sailor

Congratulations,
George

dam what a trip, never seen this one.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

hey Scott read this one on my typhoon... winthrop

Post by winthrop fisher »

:)
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Great read

Post by SeaBelle »

Winthrop,

That was a great read. I always enjoy your contributions.

Jack
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Didereaux

Winthrop - screw the spellcheck just...

Post by Didereaux »

Winthrop,
Screw the spellcheck and any other such nonsense...just keep WRITING!
;)

good read,
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Great read

Post by Carter Brey »

Hey, Winthrop,

I wouldn't change a thing. I can hear your voice through your writing. Keep going.

Carter
Scott F

Wow, Now Thats Ty Review if I ever Saw One!! Thanks for...

Post by Scott F »

sharing your hair raising (if we have hair that is) adventure on your Typhoon. That certainly answers my question of how safe and stable is the Typhoon for my 2200 acre inland lake sailing in a stiff breeze....

Makes a 25 knot blow on my lake seem like a light spring breeze when compared to your adventure!

I actually can imagine what it feels like to be a small boat in a big ocean! I was in the Navy during Viet Nam. I would occasionally run up to the signal shack at night and just look out at the vast ocean in the moonlight. I felt very small and insignificant.

What I can't actually imagine is being out there by myself. What a great story you spin.