Depth Sounder Recomendations?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

George Shaunfield

Depth Sounder Recomendations?

Post by George Shaunfield »

It appears that my transducer is going bad. I have a Datamarine model S200DL depth sounder. Cost for a new transducer is $75. New sounders that I am looking at cost around $225. I have a few questions for everyone.

1. Are in-hull pucks reasonably accurate if properly installed?
2. Can through-hulls be mounted in-hull in an oil filled enclosure and work well?
3. Don't know how old the Datamarine is. Would I be better off applying the $75 toward a new depth sounder?
4. How would you rate the quality of the following depth sounders?
a. Navman 3100
b. Raytheon ST40
c. Standard Horizon DS150

Thanks for your input in advance.

George
s/v Wings of the Morning
CD26 #4

george @ SPAMNOTaccountron.com
Rich Abato

Re: Depth Sounder Recomendations?

Post by Rich Abato »

We had a Raymarine L265 Fishfinder on our last boat. It worked very well and gave a good indication of the type of bottom. We had a plastic thru-hull transducer.

Raymarine Website
bottomscraperNoSpamPlease@earthlink.net
Will W.

Post by Will W. »

I went with the recommendation from Practical Sailor which was to go with a fish finder. I have yet to install the one I got for Christmas but I liked their reasoning. The Fish Finder not only gives a readout for depth but they also give a pretty good reading of the bottom so you have a good idea what the bottom looks like. In addition with some research you can tell, based on the bottom reading, what the bottom is likely to be; sand, clay, etc.
The Fish Finders also have a bunch of other features depending on which model you choose(money you spend). Water temp and speed are in some models. You can also mount some of them to look forward, giving you not only your depth but the bottom features you are approaching. This plus the bottom reading features are good tools for finding a good anchorage.
Plus, maybe now I will actually be able to find a fish for my son to catch. He loves to fish but the promise of catching fish while out sailing has yet to materealize and he grows suspicious of going out on the boat. So far he has had more success from the dock.
Just something to think about.

Will Wheatley
Suzi Q
CD25 #249
On The Hard
George Shaunfield wrote: It appears that my transducer is going bad. I have a Datamarine model S200DL depth sounder. Cost for a new transducer is $75. New sounders that I am looking at cost around $225. I have a few questions for everyone.

2. Can through-hulls be mounted in-hull in an oil filled enclosure and work well?
3. Don't know how old the Datamarine is. Would I be better off applying the $75 toward a new depth sounder?
a. Navman 3100
b. Raytheon ST40

George
s/v Wings of the Morning
CD26 #4

willwheatley@starpower.net
Greg bakos

Post by Greg bakos »

I went with the Practical Sailor recommendation and bought the Raymarine ST40 Bidata (depth and speed). Shop around. I believe I paid around $255. Haven't installed it yet though.
If you (or anyone else) are interested in my old depth and speed transducers you are welcome to them.

Greg Bakos
S/v Jenny May
CD30K #34

gbakos@vhb.com
David Disbennett

Post by David Disbennett »

In hull pucks work fairly well, you have to make sure the glass is solid. The best way is to use it like a ultra sound machine, put some KY jelly on the transducerand place it in the most likely area. Once you get a good reading epoxy it in the hull.

The oil filled bubbles are difficult to work with and expensive, but work fairly well.

Your S200DL is rather old. I was installing those in the early 80's. They are good solid machines, Datamarine just didn't keep up with the bells and wistles that Raymarine, and B&G came out with.

I prefera thru hull transducer to anything. Your ols one should have a standard 2" hole and most new units will work with the exception of the Navman, I'm not sure but I believe that they use 1 7/8 hole.

The Raymarine or the Navman are good choices... I've never been a fan of Standard Horizon instruments, lots of promises but short on delivery.

I would opt for the Raymarine ST-60 series. THe rumors are that they are coming out with a new line so these might be getting really cheap this spring. Wait until after the Miami Boat Show.

Good Luck

Dave

dwdisbennett@msn.com
K. Newlin

Post by K. Newlin »

My Datamarine sounder went bad, though the transducer apparently was still good. The problem was it transmitted at 210 Mhz (I think), whereas Standard Horizon and others transmit at 200. So I installed the Standard Horizon DS150 on my CD28, with the puck transducer, expoxying the puck next to the existing through hull transducer. The setup usually works fine--except when I encounter a lot of turbulance, which causes the sounder to fluctuate in its readings. Turning off and restarting restores normal operation. Sometimes the screen fogs, which may be a problem with Standard Horizon sounders, for I had the same problem with a DS35 on my previous sailboat (also with a puck). When I next haul the boat, I'll mount a through hull transducer to see if doing so stops the turbulent readings.

It's easy to test the potential placement of the puck: just place a ziplock bag of water where you're thinking of placing the puck, put the puck on top, and see if you get a reading. If so, you're in business.

K. Newlin
Sequel
CD28 #185
George Shaunfield wrote: It appears that my transducer is going bad. I have a Datamarine model S200DL depth sounder. Cost for a new transducer is $75. New sounders that I am looking at cost around $225. I have a few questions for everyone.

a. Navman 3100
b. Raytheon ST40

George
s/v Wings of the Morning
CD26 #4

newlink@newlinkdesigns.com
George Shaunfield

Post by George Shaunfield »

a. Navman 3100
b. Raytheon ST40

George
s/v Wings of the Morning
CD26 #4

Thanks to all for you input. I have decided to buy a new depth sounder. Using a fish finder means having to pivot the unit into the companion way - I am going to reserve that spot for a larger GPS down the road.

Thanks again,
George

george @ SPAMNOTaccountron.com
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Inside the hull puck mounting --- Anyone done it in a C.D.?

Post by Evergreen »

Hello:

Was wondering if anyone has actually mounted their depth finder puck inside the hull of their Cape Dory??? If so, where?

I have done it with great success on my Catalina 22 but I was wondering if it would also work on the thicker skinned Cape Dory boats?

FYI: When I did it several times in my Catalina I used silicone gell sealant (which is not recommended) and it worked very well each time. Consequently it is easy to remove if necessary. Just have to be sure to get the air bubbles out.

Thanks, Philip & Sharon "Evergreen"
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
marilou

Post by marilou »

I have used the inside mounting method since 1984. If you search the board, you will find many owners that do the same. I do not see any advantage of mounting on the outside, but maybe we could start another debate. It might be that if you mount it on a spinning block it would increase your speed??? :wink:
paul marko

transducer mountings

Post by paul marko »

I have a Seafarer depth sounder that I installed in my cd28 in 1977. Its transducer is located inside the hull in a pvc tube filled with codliver oil. It continures to give accurate readings down to 200 feet.

I installed a second depth sounder ( I still run aground a lot) in 2000 with its tranducer bonded to the hull with epoxy. It too will give accurate readings down to 200 feet. The bonding process is important and requires that the hull surface be ground flat and epoxy is mixed and applied according to manufactures directions. :D

paul marko cd 28 Ixcatl
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Inside the hull transducer

Post by Evergreen »

It sounds as if I will have to give it a try (adding a transducer inside the hull). I like the security of knowing that I have a back up depth finder on board. I have had them give out on a cruise up the Maine coast and that was no picnic.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Philip & Sharon "Evergreen"
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)