Cape Dory 30

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jon Church

Cape Dory 30

Post by Jon Church »

I would appreciate any information anyone may be able to give me concerning a 1982 Cape Dory cutter. It was re-powered in 1994 with a Yanmar 2GM-20FV. This is a boat I am concidering buying and would be sailing it here in western Washington State on Sequim Bay and the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Eventually, hopefully, cruise to Mexico.

I have read the Practical Sailer report on the boat, but have no other information.

Thanks

jonc@olympus.net
Jon Larson

Re: Cape Dory 30

Post by Jon Larson »

Jon,

I have a 1981 CD30 cutter and have owned the boat for nearly 16 years. I had her shipped out here when we moved to the west coast. The only complaint I may ever have had about the boat was that she was underpowered, and perhaps that new engine could have fixed that problem. I am just now replacing the original standing rigging and the original Hood Roller furler. I did have to replace the original white ash bowsprit with a teak one when the original developed some rot that came up from the bottom of the bowsprit, I don't think it ever was properly bedded. Aside from that, the boat has been a delight.

If you buy the CD30 after having her competently surveyed, I think you'll find you've got a well built nicely crafted and very nice sailing boat. If there's any specific questions I can answer, I'm happy to. Good luck!

Jon Larson
Cape Dory 30 PERI
San Francisco Bay

Jon Church wrote: I would appreciate any information anyone may be able to give me concerning a 1982 Cape Dory cutter. It was re-powered in 1994 with a Yanmar 2GM-20FV. This is a boat I am concidering buying and would be sailing it here in western Washington State on Sequim Bay and the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Eventually, hopefully, cruise to Mexico.

I have read the Practical Sailer report on the boat, but have no other information.

Thanks

jon9@ix.netcom.com
Peter J. Zwiefelhofer

Post by Peter J. Zwiefelhofer »

would be sailing it here in western Washington State on Sequim Bay and the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Eventually, hopefully, cruise to Mexico.
Jon Church wrote: I have read the Practical Sailer report on the boat, but have no other information.

Thanks
I purchased a 1981 CD30 cutter (hull #205) in the Spring of 1996 from my father (the original owner). The only complaint he or I have with the boat is the cracks in the gel coat. For the most part this seems to be a cosmetic problem. If you talk to other Cape Dory owners you will find that this is a common (universal?) problem with the brand.

I would be interested in reading the Practical Sailor review. What issue is it in? Do you know where I can get a copy?

We sail on Lake Michigan in Door County.

pzwief@execpc.com
A. Andrus

Post by A. Andrus »

I am interested in a used Cape Dory in Western Washington. How did you locate yours. I live in Poulsbo.

Jon Church wrote: I would appreciate any information anyone may be able to give me concerning a 1982 Cape Dory cutter. It was re-powered in 1994 with a Yanmar 2GM-20FV. This is a boat I am concidering buying and would be sailing it here in western Washington State on Sequim Bay and the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Eventually, hopefully, cruise to Mexico.

Thanks

andrus@sprintmail.com