Cape Dory Intrepid 40

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Blair

Cape Dory Intrepid 40

Post by Blair »

Iam interest in information on the Intrepid 40. Iam told that there are only six or seven. Can any one comment on the pros and cons of the boat. Thanks.
Blair

lbpbcms@lincoln.midcoast.com
Ken Coit

Re: Cape Dory Intrepid 40

Post by Ken Coit »

Blair,

One negative would be that Robinhood has not chosen to re-intorduce Intrepid line. On the other hand, this might lead to a disocunted price.

The specs on the 35 indicate that they were designed by McCurdy and Rhodes, have a fin keel, raw water cooled engines, and a layout about the same as the Cape Dory 36 except that the galley and nav station are reversed. The 35 displaces about the same as the CD/36, so the glass must be there; the boat is rigged as a sloop not a cutter.

I don't think we have collected any info on the 40, so if you find some, please share it with the Webmaster, Cathy Monaghan.

Keep on sailing,

Ken
S/V Parfait
Raleigh, NC
nd7n at nc dot rr dot com

Blair wrote: Iam interest in information on the Intrepid 40. Iam told that there are only six or seven. Can any one comment on the pros and cons of the boat. Thanks.
Blair
Catherine Monaghan

Post by Catherine Monaghan »

Blair,

Though the CD Intrepid 28 and 35 were designed by McCurdy & Rhodes, the Intrepid 40 was designed by Chuck Paine.

And Ken's right, nobody has shared their Intrepid 40 info with us. Please fill us in with anything you find.

Thanks,
Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay

catherine_monaghanNOSPAM@merck.com
Ken Coit

Post by Ken Coit »

Cathy,

Right you are and Robinhood may have one in their inventory at the moment unless this is from an old page:

"Also several new listings are drawing much interest, one of which is a Cape Dory built, Chuck Paine designed Intrepid 40. The yacht was extensively equipped for offshore cruising by Robinhood Marine, and is ready to go again. "

However, I don't see it in their listings (below).

Keep on sailing,

Ken
nd7n at nc dot rr dot com

Catherine Monaghan wrote: Blair,

Though the CD Intrepid 28 and 35 were designed by McCurdy & Rhodes, the Intrepid 40 was designed by Chuck Paine.

And Ken's right, nobody has shared their Intrepid 40 info with us. Please fill us in with anything you find.

Thanks,
Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay

Robinhood Marine Sail Listings
jack Handy

Post by jack Handy »

here is a 40 for sale in ME

Ken Coit wrote:
Catherine Monaghan wrote: Blair,

Thanks,
Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&checked_boats=1135949&slim=quick&

Post by Guest »

Blair wrote:Iam interest in information on the Intrepid 40. Iam told that there are only six or seven. Can any one comment on the pros and cons of the boat. Thanks.
Blair

lbpbcms@lincoln.midcoast.com
Hi Blair:
I have cruised the Caribbean on a CD Intrepid 40 for the last 10 years. If you have any questions I'd be happy to share my experiences. :D
Chuck
SV Mañana
TTYC - Trinid - W.I.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Specs? Manual?

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Hi,

Perhaps you have some information that needs to be incorporated into the web site. We have almost nothing, so anything you can share will be most welcome.

Cathy will undoubtedly contact you about this. Right, Cathy?

Thanks,
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Chuck Conklin
Location: Cape Dory Intrepid 40 #004 = SV Mañana Currently in Venezuela

Re: Specs? Manual?

Post by Chuck Conklin »

Good evening,
I have sent Cathy a set of specs for my boat. I recently found a Xerox copy of the original Sales broucher which I'll happly share.

Does anyone know of other Intrepid 40's? I know that at least 5 were built. Depending on who you talk to ie., Robinhood marine or Chuck Paine there are at least 7 or 8 boats out there some where.

I'd be interested in talking to anyone who has seen one recently. I'd also be interested in how many center cockpit vs aft cockpit boats were made(mine's a center cockpit version).

Chuck
SV Mañana