Here we go again

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

mgphl52

Re: Here we go again

Post by mgphl52 »

And this one looks worse than the last one...
Delta_201005-1400.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

That little blue spot in the boot of Louisiana that the line passes over is Lake Pontchartrain.
That's where Kumbaya is.
At least the new marina where she is has floating docks, so I don't have to worry about dock lines being too tight.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Capt Hook wrote:That little blue spot in the boot of Louisiana that the line passes over is Lake Pontchartrain.
I recognize that quite well... KAYLA spent about 8 months east of Soult St and south of Villere St up Bayou Chastain (?).
That was back in 2008 and an "adventure" I prefer not to relive.
Pontchartrain was was usually fun, but my wife's employment "opportunity" was a disaster! Such is life and so it goes.

Hang tough and I hope the beast goes well east of you David & me!
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Oh cr@p--Delta is now a Hurricane, forecast to become a major cat 4 hurricane, and is on the same forecast track as Sally, which surprised forecasters and slammed into Pensacola instead of Louisiana. Not looking good for us Pensacola people.
085525_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

While it's still early and hard to tell just where what will hit, I believe NOAA/NHC dropped the CAT assignments and decided to just say prior CAT-1 & CAT-2 are simply 'hurricanes' and anything over CAT-2 are 'major hurricanes.'

The only good news so far is that Delta is moving much quicker than Sally.

I will definitely be moving KAYLA to better protection!
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

mgphl52 wrote:
Capt Hook wrote:That little blue spot in the boot of Louisiana that the line passes over is Lake Pontchartrain.
I recognize that quite well... KAYLA spent about 8 months east of Soult St and south of Villere St up Bayou Chastain (?).
That was back in 2008 and an "adventure" I prefer not to relive.
Pontchartrain was was usually fun, but my wife's employment "opportunity" was a disaster! Such is life and so it goes.

Hang tough and I hope the beast goes well east of you David & me!
I kept my prior sailboat over in Mandeville, where you're talking about, because I couldn't get a slip in New Orleans at that time.

I'll settle for either east of me or west of me as long as it's far enough away. I know the east side is the "dirty side" as Roberto says.

But we didn't feel much from either Laura or Sally. They both hit far enough away. I guess Texas had its turn already too. I bought my boat near Corpus and those folks got hit by xxx, I already forgot the name.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

There is an interim advisory out at 11:20 am. Sustained winds now at 130 mph :!: :!:

This is catastrophic wind levels :!: :!:

A Cat. 4 is 130 - 156 mph

Hurricane Delta is currently in warm water; there is not much land in its way; and the Gulf of Mexico waters are very, very warm. A confluence of bad facts.

For anyone anywhere near the path of Delta I would seriously consider doing what can be done to protect your Cape Dory, your home, etc. and then no later than VERY early Friday morning driving WNW to get well out of Delta's path. Having been through Hurricane Andrew (24 August 1992) and the significant loss of life I can tell you from experience NOTHING is worth your life.

It looks like Delta is going to be a very bad one regardless of where it makes landfall - Fl., Al., Miss., La., and/or Tx.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

FLASH NEWS :!: :!:

Jim Cantore just reserved a block of rooms at one of the Holiday Inns in Baton Rouge. :D :wink: :D :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:FLASH NEWS :!: :!:

Jim Cantore just reserved a block of rooms at one of the Holiday Inns in Baton Rouge. :D :wink: :D :wink:
Are you sure?

Here's the latest from Nawlins.

https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/art ... fa992.html
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

In case you haven't seen it, I prefer the graphic produced by the U.S. Navy that shows forecast wind radii superimposed over the forecast track. It gives you a much better idea of the size of the storm. It also has a nice text box to the right listing the forecast strength at various times, and the closest point of approach to various cities. If you mentally move the projected track to one side or the other you can see how far the winds could extend if the National Hurricane Center has the track wrong. Here's the link https://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html and here's a sample graphic:
al262020.20100618.gif
Current forecast for Hurricane Delta is for maximum sustained winds of 115 kt / 130 mph, which is a cat 4.

--Jim
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Jim: Many Thanks! It's always nice to have more data...
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Capt Hook:
Hope all goes well for you over there. If not, I guess you can blame me since I took KAYLA across Rocky Bayou and set her up at a friends area.
He just put in 8 awesome pilings for Tranquil (36' Allied Princess) before Sally came but he had to go back home. I set tide-minders on two pilings fore & aft with my Bruce about 150 feet out to keep her off of those pilings. The blue scribbles highlight the forward tide-minders and my bridle off of the anchor.
As everything looks now, I really feel like I diverted Delta single-handed... :D
KAYLA_for_Delta.JPG
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Bill Member #250.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

wikakaru wrote:Current forecast for Hurricane Delta is for maximum sustained winds of 115 kt / 130 mph, which is a cat 4.
that's what the NHC keeps telling us. at the moment Delta has made landfall and top windspeed is around 60 or 70 mph. there is a heck of a lot of difference between 60 and 130. I guess it isn't up to me to decide these things :roll:
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Dodged another bullet. Having some wind and rain now but nothing like what the folks to the west are feeling.

I heard earlier that this landfall could be within 15 miles of where Laura made landfall six weeks ago.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA