CD30c suitable for blue water cruising?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Didereaux

BBB consider this....

Post by Didereaux »

The Hayes, father and son went from west coast around the horn to the east coast in a Vertue 25 just a few years back...a 30 is fine if you leave the wide-screen HD at home as well as the jacuzzi.

BTW a CD 30 is on ebay at the moment and am assured the reserve is 22K, looks good.

g'Luk
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... L:RTQ:US:1
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Russell

Re: BBB consider this....

Post by Russell »

Didereaux wrote: BTW a CD 30 is on ebay at the moment and am assured the reserve is 22K, looks good.

g'Luk
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... L:RTQ:US:1
Wow, some real nice touches on that boat, someone indeed put a lot of love into upgrading it. Love the boom gallows, bronze cowls, the nice teak mounting pads for the aries, sissy bars at mast plus very nice teak decking around the mast.

If there is nothing seriously wrong with the boat it looks like a great buy, but the auction terms do not allow for a survey, nor do they offer any recent survey. For this reason, I wouldnt touch it.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
jambalaya

CD 30 cruising boat

Post by jambalaya »

I'm not sure what length of time you mean by "extended" cruise. On the Bermuda cruise there were three of us, which is great for a watch schedule but not good for anything else. However, we packed enough grubb for three people for 30 days and returned a month later with half the stuff still on board. Of course, we did eat out a bit when we got to Bermuda. And we had to have a complete resupply of beer in Bermuda.
When you start loading up with the kind of weight you mentioned (2500 #), and that is probably about right, you also have to consider weight distribution. We failed to do that and had a starbord list during the cruise. But if you distribute correctly, should stow OK. Part of the problem we had was we tended to really load up the quarter-berth, which you don't have unless you have a CD 30B. Probably should have put more stuff on the floor under the dining table. Even with a bigger boat, and more space, the distribution should be considered carefully. You can't load up a space just because its there.
God luck and good sailing
Will
s/v "Jambalaya"
Will Parker