Engine Panel Rebuild

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Re: Engine Panel Rebuild

Post by moctrams »

I think the "silver box" is a buzzer for the oil pressure. I rebuilt a engine panel for a friend of mine and removed the amp meter and added a volt meter. I also increased the wire size for the wire from the start button.
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

It had the engine guages mounted in the forward end of the cockpit, on the cockpit bulkhead. Wondering if it's feasible to do the same on a CD 27 (the boat I saw was not a CD)
I don't know if its feasible on a CD28, however sailboats are the only vessels I know where the instruments are scattered willy nilly. I do like my console.

Image.

This was my first fiberglass project and I needed to go back and beef it up. I stripped the paint, added between an 1/8 to 3/16" of fiberglass, got rid of the king starboard and cleaned it up a bit. Second times the charm.

Image.

I hope it's not third times the charm!
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Good looking panel Hilbert!
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Russell

Post by Russell »

I have been considering taking the old plastic panel on my boat out and using it to male a mold to build a fibreglass version of it. I think most CD models used the same plastic box (which is I recall is nearly $200 to replace, for a hunk of plastic...). If I made a mold to build a new fibreglass one that would be an exact drop in replacement I could offer the mold to others to make their own as well, perhaps we could pass it around the CD community? Since the mold is the tough part, once you have a mold doing the layup for a replacement would be easy.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

What a great idea. I would have much preferred that approach to having to buy a replacement for mine that melted in the fire.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Finally got tired of not being able to really read the guages so too apart the panel, cleaned the plastic cover and the guages and an now read them, still have to bend over though.

However while I had it apart found a plastic toggle switch installed in the inside cover and determined it was to turn gauge lights on. Of. Purse, it being plastic it was broken and to get to it you'd have to go or reach into the stbd cockpit locker. Seems like it ought to be wired into instrument lights or have a separate switch in an accessible location. Was this a typical installation?

The panel itself seems to be pretty good shape. It I need to replace or rebuild the cover frame. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Also, the oil guage isn't working, assume it's the sender.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide