waving

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

dark winter..., not

Post by Troy Scott »

Leonard,

We're about done with it here. It's been quite warm these last few days.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Leonard,

I'm surprised you brought this up as ian issue. I think the boaters (sail, power and loberstermen) up in Maine are pretty good about waving. I attributed it to the feeling that when you have issues and need assistance up there it can be a lot more serious than down in a warm water area. At least it was not something I ever noticed. They are much better about it than what I recall of the Chesapeke. Maybe because of the volume of boaters. Your arm could fall off waving at everyone around Annapolis.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Big E
Salem, MA

Ahoy, Polloi

Post by Big E »

Lotsa waving goes on in & around Salem harbor, great community... Unless you stumble into Old Marblehead Harbor -- Talk about hoity toity. If you wave at most (not all) of those "sailors" at the Corinthian & Eastern Yacht Clubs they look down at you as if you just impregnated their dog. You know these guys, they're the ones with the 50-60 footers that only sail once a year. Most of the time they're just hanging on the mooring entertaining CEO's & various dignitaries. How sad indeed.
Mathias

To that lobsterman in Point Judith

Post by Mathias »

This past summer, I took a wonderful tour from Lake Champlain, down the Hudson, across LI Sound and up to Caisco Bay, and back. 1,300 NM and two months.

One of my most memorable days was trying to get out of Point Judith in fog that would roll in and out. I was single-handing but I had radar and figured I should be able to handle this, so I cast off and set out. As soon as I got to the end of the inlet, I couldn't see more than two boat lengths. Out of the nothing, a motoring sailboat appeared. I hollored over: "How is it out there?"

One of the crew shouted back: "Can't tell because we couldn't see a thing, so we're heading back."

I motored on a few dozen more yards before deciding to turn about and follow them in.

Once more that day, the fog dissapated just to the point where you could see a mile or so. I cast off again and headed out. But once again, I turned back as soon as I hit the pea soup of the outer Harbor of Refuge.

A third time the fog receded. And a third time, I cast off. This time, the inner harbor was clear, but my mind was not. I was just abaft to the port side of a lobster boat. We were both following the narrow channel out of the harbor. I looked over to the lobsterman and he was waving at me. I was pleasantly surprised that a hardworking lobsterman would take time to wave to a pleasure-man such as myself.

I waved back.

He began waving more insistently and suddenly I realized that I was outside the channel. I put the helm hard over to starboard, just narrowly fetching the red nun and leaving it to port.

This is the sea, I thought. I was so grateful that at sea even the working men might take pity on a humble pleasure sailor such as myself. None of us are so perfect that we don't need a reminder from a fellow seaman that, "hey, idiot, don't you realize you are about to ground?"

I made it half way out of the outer harbor of refuge that time before the fog thickened once more. I decided that the lesson in humility was already delivered for that day. What was I still trying to prove?

I turned about once more. I knew there would be some shame in a repeated public radio request once more that day to the marina for dock space. But when you think about it, shame is a fair currency for humility. And besides, I dread to consider the currency of stubborness.

I will always remember that anonymous lobsterman.

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I drove a VW Rabbit diesel for almost ten years. I always waved to other Rabbits, it was all we had. In the later years most would just stare at me though. Perhaps it was because I was going so slowly.

Now, in our CD, we get both waves AND stares! I reckon it's the beauty and envy of so many.

Paul
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Waves

Post by SeaBelle »

I always wave and most reciprocate. For those that don't I have 2 internal responses: for lobstermen I know they're busy and they get a pass, for others I remind myself it's about me not about them. I enjoy being friendly even if some others don't.

I treat lobstermen as respectfully as coasties; they are always out there (and closer than coasties) and while they may not all stop to wave they'll stop working to help if needed. As a group they have earned the respect I feel.

When I graduated and got a job I bought my first car, a red '62 MG with wire wheels, the last of the A's. We always shared a comradely wave. After I moved to Boston and had my side curtains stolen for the 3rd time I swore I wasn't going to supply every poor student who would trade his morals for side curtains and gave it to my youngest brother. He lived in Jersey City where they may not be morally superior but at least there were fewer MGA's.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hey john and ever one,

we had an mini austin before we got the MGB's and after that we had 914 porsche it was real small car...

but try to put two adults and three small children into these cars...

thats ok sea hunt....
Len

CDs and MGs

Post by Len »

I find it quit curious that so many CDers had MGs . What does that mean ?
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Troy Scott

MGs and Cape Dorys

Post by Troy Scott »

Len,

It probably means that we are folks who like tooling along at relaxed speeds in vehicles that are more soulful than practical. We are also folks who enjoy looking at and tinkering with classic things. I used to go sit in my MG just to read. I've done the same thing many times in a Cape Dory.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

MGs

Post by Oswego John »

Len,

Although some will tell you that MG stands for Morris Garage which evolved into Morris Group, there is a band of diehards who insist that MG stands for Mucho Gusto, the way these cars are driven. (If you can still find one).

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks ... pZ1?_rdc=1

http://www.cartalk.com/content/testdriv ... /mgtd.html

These autos, not unlike our Cape Dorys, are not being made anymore. They are a perfect example to answer the question if our CDs are worth less with the economy as it is today.

For what my little MGTD cost in the early 1950s, depending on its condition, it might cost five times or more than that today.

In 20/20 hindsight, what a fool I was to get rid of it early on. But then, I had a family to raise. Oh well.

Ah, memories
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
John Danicic

free spirits are we

Post by John Danicic »

Why so many MGs? Free spirits we are. Since we never drove with the top up, we got to feel the air temperature change when zooming down valleys and climbing up hills. Like in sailing, one is very connected with the weather and the surroundings in an MG. That car gave feedback to every little adjustment to the wheel and the throttle. You felt essential, part of the vehicle. Not just along for the ride. They were special little devils for our devil years.

Like with our boats, you needed to tinker with those cars....in my case, a lot. Its diminutive size gave me the courage to tackle complicated projects. I learned most of what I know about engines, repairing and fixing things because of that green car. What I remember the most was the little smile on my normally practical dads face when I announced that I was getting a very unpractical vehicle. He knew then that getting this car was tantamount to applying to technical school to learn a trade. I thought I was getting a chick magnet. Ah......we were both right.

When I got rid of it. I bought a bicycle and eventually had a series of boring dependable cars. Chick magnets they were not. But because of that technical training, I could keep them going way beyond their normal life span. It is all applied to the wiring, sheet adjustment, the oil changes and beating into a north east gale. Spray on your face, top down, hands on the wheel and laughing the whole time.......

Sail on

John Danicic
CD36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior - The Apostle Islands
CDSOA # 655
wingreen

Re: CDs and MGs

Post by wingreen »

Len wrote:I find it quit curious that so many CDers had MGs . What does that mean ?
I means we know more about boats than we did cars... mine spent more time in the shop than it did on the road... @#$%$ British SU-2 carbs and electrical system.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: CDs and MGs

Post by Neil Gordon »

wingreen wrote:... mine spent more time in the shop than it did on the road...
Did I read somewhere about sitting in the car and reading a book?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
sealark
"Sea Lark"

MG Regret

Post by sealark »

You guys are making me feel bad - my 1973 MG Midget is sitting in the garage and currently listed for sale on Craigslist. I am starting to have regret. But then again - the whole family can fit in the CD 28 - but not the MG.
mike ritenour

My favorite wave

Post by mike ritenour »

After having bashed for almost two days into a bad northerner we pulled into Cooly's Landing on the New River, in Ft. Lauderdale.

Exhausted and popping the first beer, after tie-up, we looked up from our stern and here was a HUGE tour boat passing by. Perhaps 300 people on it.

A little girl on deck waved at us and we waved back, only to have about 150 people wave back at us, at once.

What a nice buzz when someone yelled out, hey I know where Olcott, NY is! (our home port)

Sure put smiles on our sailing bones. :D

Rit