Oil Change Blues

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Post by cbrenton »

I started this thread last fall. Since then, I attended the Hanson Marine Engine seminar in Marblehead-something that I would highly recommend. They sold me a Jabsco Hand pump which worked like a charm. Removed the old oil this spring in about 60 seconds! I have considered the option of a hose connected to the drain plug, but the area seems almost inaccessible. I don't see how this could be inspected without removal and every other rubber hose that I have ever seen fails eventually. If it were so easy to get to the drain plug, we wouldn't have a 2 page thread that spans 9 months. Would be interested to hear how others deal with the maintenance issue of the permanently installed oil drain hose.

Charlie Brenton
Carol Anne
CD 33
gates_cliff

Hose Maintenance?

Post by gates_cliff »

The same question crossed my pea sized brain. I wondered what would happen if you needed to replace the hose. It looked to me like you would almost have to raise the engine just to get to it, but I'm not all that knowedgeable though.

I'd be interested in the thoughts or experience from those who are more experienced with CDs than I am.
Bob Condon

I use the Jabsco electric pump

Post by Bob Condon »

BUT there is a warning!. The 5 gallon bucket is fine, the top does not lock onto the bucket and the pump on the bucket top makes
it top heavy, so you pick the bucket up by the handle with only 1 qt of oil in it, the pump tips the bucket over dumping the oil on the floor.

I put two screws to hold the bucket top to the bucket.

The joys of doing your own work!

Bob
Bob Condon
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Oh brother...

Post by Warren S »

You guys (Ben, Bill, Carter) all have spic 'n span engine bays. Add another item to the list...
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Maine Sail

I use the Moeller Fluid Extractor

Post by Maine Sail »

It could not be any easier and I made this video to show how fast and easy it is:

Moeller Fluid Extractor Oil Change Video (LINK)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bvv7b6jtJwY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bvv7b6jtJwY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Use of Moeller Oil Extractor on Cape Dory 25D

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Has anyone used the Moeller Fluid Extractor for changing engine oil on the 1GM Yanmar :?:

I checked the Moeller website. It seems to say that the extractor pump comes with 3 different hoses.

According to the Yanmar Owner's Manual (if I am reading it correctly) the "engine oil evacuation port" (that's what the manual calls it :) ) is on the starboard side aft. It looks like it may be difficult to access by a short, fat guy. :D

Anyone have suggestions, recommendations, etc. to make the process easier :?:

I plan to empty and replace engine oil with Shell Rotella 5W-40. That seems to be what most everyone at the sailing club is using.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, recommendations, etc.
Last edited by Sea Hunt Video on Oct 13th, '11, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Beta

Post by moctrams »

I love my Beta with its own oil pump with hose attached to the oil pan. I just open the valve and pump the old oil into a jug. Very simple. I even bought the same pump from Beta for my old Volvo MD-7A.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: oil change pump for YSM8

Post by tjr818 »

Ben Thomas wrote:Warren, I'm the Beta dealer here in Oregon, I can get them. They are available as: just the pump, or with mounting brackets, & what ever length of hose and size of fittings you need.
Decide where the pump will be located and measure the distance to the oil sump for the hose length.
Most importantly what size fitting (plug) is on your oil pan/sump? So the hose fitting matchs up.
Ben
Would this pump work on a YSM8?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Use of Moeller Oil Extractor on Cape Dory 25D

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Has anyone used the Moeller Fluid Extractor for changing engine oil on the 1GM Yanmar
Hi Robert,

I just purchased the smaller of the two oil extractors available at West Marine. It looks like it's actually a re-branded Moeller, but I'm not sure.

I haven't used it on my 1GM, but last year I paid a diesel mechanic to winterize my engine and show me what he was doing. He used an oil extractor, putting a tube into the dipstick tube.

Then, he took an oil absorber, put it in a plastic bag and let gravity empty the remainder of the oil through the sump drain, in the way that Maine Sail's video showed at the end.

I'll let you know how it goes.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Joe:

Thanks very much. I will look for your update.

Initially, I think I will have the diesel mechanic show me a few things on the 1GM, including some service techniques he may know that I can learn. Then I will probably buy one of the "extractors" to be able to do oil changes, etc. myself. I would think you could also use it to suck up residual liquids in the bilge.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil