Where Is The Far Reach—Part II

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

PortTack

Re: Where Is The Far Reach—Part II

Post by PortTack »

John, thanks for your explanation of your setup! Makes a lot of sense. Was this something you rigged up yourself, with all the solo off-shore sailing you do?

Is there just one block that attaches to the bulwark that you have to move from side to side depending on the tack, or do you have a mirrored setup on the leeward side in that photo that I just can't see?

Thanks!
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Where Is The Far Reach—Part II

Post by John Stone »

Port Tack
Glad the info is useful to you.

Here are the details on the preventer-vang:
https://farreachvoyages.net/2017/10/14/ ... entervang/

I have two vang’s but they are not identical. I tend to use them in conjunction with one another on the same side of the boat. However, I can rig them on either side of the boat if desired. I plan to put a third vang-preventer together same as the leathered one depicted in the link above. Just have not got around to it. With one on each side of the boat you would always have positive control over the boom throughout a gyb. When the wind gets up about 25 kts when running downwind I tend to drop the main and secure the boom in the gallows and rely on the jib and/or the stays’l. It’s safer and as fast or faster than a double reefed main. Still, I think employing two vangs, one on each side of the boat is a good safe technique.