Bad Feeling

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Capt Hook

Re: Bad Feeling

Post by Capt Hook »

Looks like here in Nawlins by Tuesday we could have one to the east and one to the west in the Gulf.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

This morning it looks like I'm right about where the western edge of the cone for TS Laura touches the eastern edge of the cone for TD 14.

Does that mean they'll cancel each other out? Or is that wishful thinking?
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Capt Hook wrote:This morning it looks like I'm right about where the western edge of the cone for TS Laura touches the eastern edge of the cone for TD 14.

Does that mean they'll cancel each other out? Or is that wishful thinking?
Captain Hook:

Are you familiar with the boxing term "a left jab followed by a right hook" (no pun intended :wink: )

The "good news" is that on its current track you will get the "good side" of TS Laura - soon to be "H Laura". Is there really such a thing as a "good side" to any hurricane :?: :?:

The "bad news" is that on its current track you will get the "bad side" or "dirty side" of TD 14, soon to be TS Marco and then H Marco.

An interesting factoid. "My bible" (the Weather Channel, loved by all, especially John S. :wink: ) reported last night that the last time there were two (2) hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico at the same time was 1935. What an honor it must be for you and Mike and others along the Gulf to members of such a unique "club". :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:What an honor it must be for you and Mike and others along the Gulf to members of such a unique "club". :D
I'm just shickled titless... :roll:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

When I felt the hairs on the back of my neck itch I had no idea it was going to be two (2) hurricanes in the Gulf at the same time. Yikes :!: :!: :!: :cry: :cry: :cry:

On its current course and speed, it looks like Laura will come very close to us in Miami as either a very strong TS or minimal Cat. 1 Hurricane. Once past the Florida Straits both systems have time to soak up the very warm (hot :!: ) Gulf waters and get stronger. Remember, NHC/NOAA are good at projecting a storm's course; they are not yet good at projecting storm strength at any given point along its path. Either storm could easily become a hurricane sooner than projected and/or strengthen substantially once in the warm Gulf waters. Scary :!:

Mike, Captain Hook and all others in the path of, or near to, either (or both :!: :!: ) of these systems, you will be in my thoughts. Be safe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

That’s a scary weather map Roberto. Wow. Be careful everyone.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Jim Walsh wrote:That’s a scary weather map Roberto. Wow. Be careful everyone.
Yes, it is a bit scary... a friend of mine is a retired meteorologist and opined there's a possibility the two storms could actually swap paths if the encounter each other close enough. They could also combine into one, but not necessarily a stronger storm.
We'll just have to prep for the worst and wait & see...
Since I don't drink dark/heavy beer, I'm very happy to have *plenty* of red wine at home. :D
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

mgphl52 wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote:That’s a scary weather map Roberto. Wow. Be careful everyone.
Yes, it is a bit scary... a friend of mine is a retired meteorologist and opined there's a possibility the two storms could actually swap paths if the encounter each other close enough. They could also combine into one, but not necessarily a stronger storm.
We'll just have to prep for the worst and wait & see...

Good grief. That is scary. Good luck to all y’all down south FL and along the Gulf Coast.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

AND there's another one behind those two.
Bill Member #250.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Here's hoping they have that tracking model/forecast working well...
Sucks for Louisiana but this makes me feel a bit safer :!:
And hopefully eases some tension for Roberto :!:
175652_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

This is pretty incredible :!: :!: :!:

Captain Hook, this may be one of those times where discretion is the better part of valor. A tactical retreat to a more Northern location may be appropriate.

Whether you stay or evacuate, you (and all of us) will learn about the Fujiwhara Effect from two hurricanes interacting in the Gulf of Mexico and both expected to make landfall near New Orleans within roughly 48 hours of each other as Cat. 1 systems. Yikes :!: :!: :!:

My thoughts are with you Captain Hook and Mike and all along the Gulf coast.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

How close do they have to be for the "Fujiwhara Effect" ??? Current plots look like they'll be at least 600+ miles apart before Marco makes land fall.
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Mike:

I am NOT a meteorologist but there is a 1995 article in the Journal of Atmospheric Sciences that suggests the Fugiwhara effect can be observed when two (2) systems are within about 400 miles of each other.

Whether Laura and Marco "merge" or not it sure looks like our friend Captain Hook and all along the La. and Miss. coastline are going to have a very rough week starting Monday, 24 August. :( :( :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Wow. That is something. Well I hope they stay low cat 1 and move fast. This kind of thing is just exhausting to deal with when you are squared off with them. I wish all y’all the best of luck not only with your boats but your homes and communities too. Stay safe.
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

One thing I'm thankful for is the new marina I moved to has floating docks. So no worries about adjusting dock lines as the water rises.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
New Orleans, LA