Typhoon deck projects

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Seaweed2

Re: Typhoon deck projects

Post by Seaweed2 »

Thanks JCW for exhuming this post. I found it particularly appropriate for the projects I am presently on. Sometimes I spend more time perusing this board for insight than I do actually completing a project. It's a good thing because I am more likely to do the job correctly the first time (or so).

Seems like there are worse places to be without a boat than Kentucky but I hope you get over that problem soon!
Jerry W
CD 28 Hull #46
Sailing Lake Ontario out of Rochester
Dick Villamil

Re: Typhoon deck projects

Post by Dick Villamil »

Nice work - I also removed both toe rails with some repairs replacing damaged portions and all the hardware on my Typhoon - Cape Dory did a hit-or-miss caulking at the factory and some water got into the aft deck which finally was replaced last summer. The main sheet hardware and cleat were missing a lot of the caulking. All are now replaced and fully caulked however after 12 years I am thinking of repainting the deck and will use some of your info. As for plugs I was able to tap new teak plugs into the toe rail using varnish as a sealant and after 12 years they are still tight. I have used the Harbor Freight plug cutter but think a tapered plug cutter would be best.