hoisting and stowrage of outboard motor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: hoisting and stowrage of outboard motor

Post by John Stone »

Very professionally executed Ken. BZ.
Dorothea

Post by Dorothea »

Thanks Ken,
My 26 came with a Tohatsu 9.9 when I purchased it. It is a bit much for me to lift out(Two bad shoulders), matter a fact I have yet to lift it out since I purchased the boat. Thinking of down sizing to the 6hp so I can at least take it out at the end of the season. I sail down on Barnegat Bay out of Forked River. Leaving the river on a in coming tide and against the wind I'm worried might be taxing on the little old 6. I look forward to your end of season report.

Thanks,
Kevin
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

As someone who has had to pull the outboard to clean it at least twice a season for 30 years...

This stuff is brilliant!!!

Thank you for the pictures.
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

Kevin & others,

The weight of the Tohatsu 6 h.p. Sailpro is a gift that keeps on giving. I have a bad back, bad shoulders and am a bit beyond the average retirement age. But I have no trouble handling the 60-lb. Sailpro with a light block-and-tackle arrangement when I get the boat home to our boat barn and do want to hoist it out of its hole. Once on the ground, I can pick it up and move it wherever I want to. (Yes, I do lift with my legs, not the back or arms.) But it is likely unrealistic to think this motor can push your boat against both wind and tide. Even inboard diesels that I've owned on other CD boats over the years have a tough time with headwinds, foul tide and chop, all together. I tend to wait for a fair tide, at the very least. Hope this helps,

Ken
casampson

Post by casampson »

Last week I used a Tohatsu 6 HP Sailpro to motor my CD 25 from Barrington, RI to Westport, MA. The motor did well in almost all circumstances, pushing us along at 4.5 knots at about half-throttle. Fuel economy was terrific, as we consumed only 2.5 gallons on the 25 mile trip. We were fighting a slight headwind and faced some strong currents in the Sakonnet River. I think we battled a 3 knot current at one point, which the Tohatsu handled fairly well at full throttle. (I might be wrong about the speed of the current, but that's the number I remember.)

My gut feeling is that the 6HP Tohatsu will not be enough motor to face all circumstances that may come up, at least where I sail in Buzzards Bay. I will use it this season and see how it goes, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up replacing it with an 8 or even 10 hp motor.

As for lifting the motor in and out of the well, that's something I can't do by myself anymore anyway. It cost me $10 to get it in, and I imagine it will cost about the same to get it out.
Dorothea

Post by Dorothea »

Thanks guys...I'm going to continue to research this. Our 9.9 is highly unreliable right now so we are looking to repower. A 6hp that actually runs all the time would be a great change even if it under performs and you have to pick your weather window. Oh and I can lift out by myself! :)
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

We have a 5hp Tohatsu propane engine that is very reliable (no fuel issues associated with gasoline) and pushes our CD26 along nicely. We keep her in the Merrimack River which has 3+ knot currents and have no issue bucking the tide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
casampson

Post by casampson »

Interesting. How far do you get on a tank of propane?
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Each one is a horizontal 20lb tank and gets about 10 hours at 3/4 throttle for a total of 20 hours.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Dorothea

Post by Dorothea »

Very nice Tim....there's another idea to through onto the growing list.

Thanks.
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

I use the SailPro and rarely use more than 1/3 throttle to get where I need to go. I've wondered if the long shaft (not the extra long) would be adequate, if fitted with the prop and charger from the SailPro. The slightly shorter engine would be easier to wrestle in and out, especially since the extra weight is levered out towards the prop.

Is there a Propane conversion kit? I can't get pure gasoline around here anymore.
drb9

Post by drb9 »

I know you asked about solutions for pulling the motor, but for my Yamaha 8hp, 4-stroke, pulling it out is not viable. I would have to lift it part-way out, rotate it 180 degrees, and then lift it out the rest of the way. And then, there is no place to store it. So, I came up with an approach that works well for me, given that my boat is in a slip, and I can work the bag on from the dock.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34236

I made a new bag this year, replacing the hula hoop with pvc pipe.
I set sail in the confident hope of a miracle
Coosaw

Post by Coosaw »

Thanks for the posting regarding using a bag to protect the foot of the outboard. I have a similar bag but have not considered pumping out the salt water that gets in the bag when deploying it. Also like the idea of adding fresh water to the bag.
Rick