Torqueedo Outboard motor for a Typhoon Weekender?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Re: Torqueedo Outboard motor for a Typhoon Weekender?

Post by trapper »

Get a second battery. With 1 battery, running out of charge was an issue on our lake, but with the second battery--no problem. I also have a plug that fits into the 12v and the battery can run off of my 12v as a last resort, have not had to use that feature. Love my torqedo
beacontwo

Post by beacontwo »

Responding to Adrift 54:
The Torqeedo 2.0 has been excellent on the Typhoon Weekender this summer. The range has been good travelling at 3-4 mph for 1-2 hrs. The motor has gotten me successfully in and out of Wickford Harbor going against both strong winds and tides. I keep it charged when at the slip at Brewers Wickford Cove Marina. SEASCAPE has been the talk of the marina -referred to as the "stealth" boat because it is so quiet. It is a dream maneuvering in and out of a tight slip. I am noticing more sailboats using the Torqeedo in Wickford.

Susan Graefe
SEASCAPE TyW
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I use a torqedo on my Ensign, ( 22' Alberg design). I have about a 7 mile range in 5 to 7 k winds. If it is blowing, our range is reduced. That said, I sail if the wind is blowing more. I have 2 batteries and a plug that allows me to tap into my 12v system. I have never had to plug into the 12v system. When I had just 1 battery, i ran out of juice often. With 2 batteries, I never run out. It is expensive but it is really a great system.