PRIATES KILL 4 AMERICANS ON YACHT 'QUEST'

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rorik

Re: piracy

Post by rorik »

jerryaxler wrote:
rorik wrote:Somalia and their piracy.... we barely have a functioning government here in the USA. And our economy is in even worse shape. What makes anyone think we could institute a functioning government and economy halfway around the world in a country with a completely different history and culture?
We barely have a functioning government is a statement of fact or a political comment. Our economy is in worse shape than where Somalia? Is that a statement of fact or a political comment. It might be a good idea to discuss something with which we have some idea of the complexity of a situation, like rotating props. I stand by my original statement that we should be discussing boats,sailing and friends before allowing this board deteriorate to a political discussion in which we all know our point of view is the only true point of view.
My post was not political. I tend to applaud or blame humans as a species, or individually, for their actions. As for the state of our government... I blame all sides. Especially those who make no attempt to even understand our form of government, let alone do something constructive to make the country better.
As for our economy vs. Somalia... we don't have any more money than they do. Our Federal Reserve bank is the single biggest buyer of US treasuries on the planet - to the tune of roughly $74 billion a month, every month. All of it goes to fund daily operations and interest on the debt. Our printing of currency at that rate fuels inflation around the globe. Which is fine if you live here and your average food cost is 10 % of your income. But in places like Somalia, Egypt, Tunisia,etc, food costs often equal half of a months earnings. So when inflation is 15%, they have to choose between eating and shelter.
Inflation in the US is not measured in the same manner now as when Carter was in office. If you do use those same metrics, we have roughly the same rate of inflation now as then - 15%. Not the 1-2% that the BLS tells us.
Unemployment accounting changed when Eisenhower was in office. Using the same metrics as were used in the 1930's... we have a national average unemployment rate of about 19%. And climbing.
The only thing keeping the entire US ship of state afloat is our ability to sell our debt. Keep in mind our FED is the biggest buyer. China has become a distant 2nd, and has even become a net seller of US treasuries. If we lost that ability, we would look just like any other "developing " nation. We would be broke overnight. I'm happy to get get graphs and charts if needed.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
jerryaxler

Post by jerryaxler »

rorik wrote:
jerryaxler wrote:
rorik wrote:Somalia and their piracy.... we barely have a functioning government here in the USA. And our economy is in even worse shape. What makes anyone think we could institute a functioning government and economy halfway around the world in a country with a completely different history and culture?
We barely have a functioning government is a statement of fact or a political comment. Our economy is in worse shape than where Somalia? Is that a statement of fact or a political comment. It might be a good idea to discuss something with which we have some idea of the complexity of a situation, like rotating props. I stand by my original statement that we should be discussing boats,sailing and friends before allowing this board deteriorate to a political discussion in which we all know our point of view is the only true point of view.

My post was not political. I tend to applaud or blame humans as a species, or individually, for their actions. As for the state of our government... I blame all sides. Especially those who make no attempt to even understand our form of government, let alone do something constructive to make the country better.
As for our economy vs. Somalia... we don't have any more money than they do. Our Federal Reserve bank is the single biggest buyer of US treasuries on the planet - to the tune of roughly $74 billion a month, every month. All of it goes to fund daily operations and interest on the debt. Our printing of currency at that rate fuels inflation around the globe. Which is fine if you live here and your average food cost is 10 % of your income. But in places like Somalia, Egypt, Tunisia,etc, food costs often equal half of a months earnings. So when inflation is 15%, they have to choose between eating and shelter.
Inflation in the US is not measured in the same manner now as when Carter was in office. If you do use those same metrics, we have roughly the same rate of inflation now as then - 15%. Not the 1-2% that the BLS tells us.
Unemployment accounting changed when Eisenhower was in office. Using the same metrics as were used in the 1930's... we have a national average unemployment rate of about 19%. And climbing.
The only thing keeping the entire US ship of state afloat is our ability to sell our debt. Keep in mind our FED is the biggest buyer. China has become a distant 2nd, and has even become a net seller of US treasuries. If we lost that ability, we would look just like any other "developing " nation. We would be broke overnight. I'm happy to get get graphs and charts if needed.
Thanks for illuminating my point about the uselessness of political discussion on a boating board, but I'll pass on the offer of charts and graphs, since I've had my fill of chalkboards this year.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
rorik

Post by rorik »

jerryaxler wrote:
rorik

Post by rorik »

jerryaxler wrote:
rorik

Post by rorik »

My apologies for the multiple posts. I'm using my phone and it got "stuck". I most likely hit a few too many buttons trying to get it unstuck. If the multiples could be removed...? Thanks.

Jerry,
In a prior post it was asked how our economy could be compared to Somalias. I tried, in the broadest of terms, to to illustrate that point. I did not name, let alone blame, any political factions. References to Carter and Eisenhower were for time stamping, not for blaming that particular administration.
The graphs and charts would have come from the FED, UST and others so you could dissect the facts yourself.
But I understand how a lot of people can shy away from that type of information. It can be overwhelming.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Itchy Finger

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Rorick,

When you post duplicates of the same message, look up to the top, right corner. You will find three boxes, quote, edit and x(erase)

Click on x. A box will appear asking if you are sure that you want to delete or not. Click on yes (erase). The extra post should disappear.

In the back of my mind, this may not work if someone else posts on the same thread after you..Doh...I just posted on your thread.

As Archie always said, "Whatever", we tried.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
rorik

Post by rorik »

Thanks, OJ.
rorik

Post by rorik »

Thanks, OJ.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Good one. Very funny. :D

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

Back on CD topic...how to mount a minigun on and armor a Cape Dory.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21245.html
jepomer

Interesting article. Quoting a warning from it

Post by jepomer »

Kilgore wrote:Back on CD topic...how to mount a minigun on and armor a Cape Dory.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21245.html
Interesting article. Quoting a warning from the article referenced:

----
But national security experts and legal analysts warn that applying a colonial-era policy to a modern-day problem could be wrought with legal pitfalls that the Founding Fathers never encountered.

If bounty hunters chase pirates into territorial coastal waters or on to the shore of another country, the problem would fall under the jurisdiction of that country. And any plundering activity that takes place in coastal waters is no longer considered piracy, according to College of William and Mary national security law professor Linda Malone.

Not to mention that there’s also no clear indication where and how the captured pirates should be prosecuted.

“You have to find a stable court system nearby to have them tried for these offenses, but that can be quite complicated,â€
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

Pirates Kill

Post by Alan Holman »

If I'm not mistaken, in the 1700 and 1800s the ships the privateers were hunting down were, in and of themselves, of value, and then there was the value in the cargoes they were carrying. The bounty money was an incidental bonus. With all due respect to Mr. Paul, given the value of the armed skiffs the Somalis are using, the bounty fees would have to be pretty large. And, quite frankly I'm not too sure I'd be very happy with a bunch relatively undisciplined, un-regulated and uncontrolled sea-going mercenaries operating under some warrant of the USA ranging about on the high seas.
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Very interesting. Maybe a new line of work for drug runners. They already have the planes, go fast boats and guns.

The court issue doesn't seem like much of a problem because I doubt many of the pirates would be taken alive. What would they have to produce to get their bounty? a body, just the head or maybe the right ear? This could get way out of hand but is a very creative solution.

I could see a big fat tanker with a bunch of Cigarette boats hiding on the far side. Then Hollywood could make the movie once a few real life situations had played out.

It is a crazy world we live in, Steve.
rorik

Post by rorik »

Steve Laume wrote:
....I could see a big fat tanker with a bunch of Cigarette boats hiding on the far side. Then Hollywood could make the movie once a few real life situations had played out....
I think it was called "Waterworld"........
bottomscraper

Missed Opportunity?

Post by bottomscraper »

Privateer Adventure Cruises

Nowadays, cruises are not just reserved to life aboard some beautiful ship grazing across the sea. Geared to thrill seekers, Privateer Adventure Cruises have marked a new age of cruising and travel activities. Rather than just capturing the vacation experience through a camera, Privateer Adventure Cruises allow people to physically experience and explore exotic lands, cultures, and shoot people once possible only in dreams. Now experience the thrill of chasing real pirates using automatic weapons and serious hardware. No more will you just snorkel with stingrays off an island and get bloated at the all you can eat midnight buffet. Help find and attack real pirates with the guidance of our highly trained crew, many with actual special forces experience. Privateer Adventure Cruises have stirred sensations and memories within people that can only be attained through the spur-of-the moment, tangible experience of a lifetime.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com