Restoring 18.5 typhoon wekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Heavy Outboard Motor

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Serge.

I've been using a 5 HP Merc since the late 90s. It weighs a tad over 55 lbs, not counting the remote fuel can, etc.

So far, no problems.

But what you say is a very good point to keep in mind, something to pay attention to.

However, not to be controversial, I feel that a lot depends on what type of water you have to navigate in order to get to open water. Many sailors, myself included, have to put up with tidal currents and river flow currents. At certain times, they can be quite troublesome and something to reckon with. A smaller, lighter motor just won't cut it

For this and other reasons, some boat owners have to compromise on the size and weight of the motor they use. Granted, a 9 HP motor is a bit much, as was previously pointed out.

Just out of curiosity, I'm going to reweigh my motors tonight.

Best regards
O J
Last edited by Oswego John on May 17th, '07, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Heavy Outboard Motor

Post by Oswego John »

For the record, I just weighed my 5 HP outboard motors.

The two stroke weighs a tad under 50 lbs without fuel in the built in tank.

The four stroke weighs a touch over 55 lbs with no fuel in the tank. I never knew for sure. Always approximated the weight. Now I know.

O J
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

3.5 Tohatsu, 2 stroke

Post by Jim Davis »

Weights about 35 pounds with the long shaft and full tank. Pushes Sandy's Ty above hull speed and cruises about an hour on a tank (internal). The way I selected it for her was to go in a store and have her pick one up off the display stand.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Tohatsu 3.5hp 4 stroke

Post by RIKanaka »

Tohatsu makes the 3.5hp in a 4 stroke now that weights about 41#.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
alsaleen
Racine, Wi

whats next?? update to old post

Post by alsaleen »

ok guys heres an update on an old post all teak has been sanded down, which took forever there were 1/4 inch crevases in some areas!!! but now she looks beautiful!! i am painting the deck will the paint i need to use for that be the same as topside paint because i cant find any "deck" specific paint? also topsides dont need it but i thinki she would look beautiful with a green topside and a tan deck would it e worth it? and does antone have experiance wireing the lights on this boats because id like to ad in a cd player with speakers in the cockpit, but idk if the steel switch box in her is original.. oh and one more thing would any one have pics of their main sheet?? i know its alot but i would like her perfect before she goes in the water "hopefuly" by july thanks again
David van den Burgh

Interlux's Interdeck

Post by David van den Burgh »

alsaleen wrote:i am painting the deck will the paint i need to use for that be the same as topside paint because i cant find any "deck" specific paint?
Try this. Interdeck is one of the easiest to apply and better performing finishes for nonskid surfaces.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Paint

Post by Jim Davis »

Interdek is easy to apply, also you can use Brightside (more colors) and just mix in the grit. Either works well. I prefer to use Brightside and grit, it seems to be more durable. Here is a photo of the Ty Daysailor my wife restored. She did it green with tan deck. Note all painting was done "roll and tip".
http://www.capedory.org/specs/TY-opendaysailer.jpg
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Jim..nice looking ty(comment for you wife)....what kind of paint did you use on the hull sides....you apply it using the roll and tip method and I'm curious how the results were....was it as if sprayed?
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Paint

Post by Jim Davis »

It was Brightside. She cut it a little with Penetrol and applied it by "roll and tip" There are several coats with 220 grit wet sanding between coats, even sheen over the entire surface. The trick is to watch your weather and not apply paint late in the afternoon. If dew gets on it overnight it will develop a mat surface. Do prep in the afternoon, paint the next morning. Wipe all surfaces to be painted with lacquer thinner just before painting. Be patient and careful.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Troy Scott

Ty motor

Post by Troy Scott »

If I were doing that now, I'd go electric, for sure.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Tony Maguire

18.5 weekender

Post by Tony Maguire »

Alsaleen, I just purchased the 18.5 weekender and have some questions you may be able to help with. Can you tell me where your cockpit drains too? On my boat, there are no hoses draining the cockpit, just the holes. I can post photos if it would help you. Or if you can post photos of how yours is set up, that would be great too!

Thanks,

Tony
CD in FL