A good article on the assymetrical sail...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Well not any more?

Post by barfwinkle »

Last night it would not load. I even "pinged" www.sailnet.com and it worked perfectly.

This morning, they both loaded just fine. Go Figure. But thanks Bill is good to know it not just me.

Take heart Northern Brethren/Sistren, Spring is only 6 months away. :cry:
Bill Member #250.
Didereaux

Dean, your in luck....;)

Post by Didereaux »

A pole is not necesary to fly an assym. The closest you might get is maybe like what I found: Very light wind on an almost run(maybe a point or two off. Then with the main furled(of course) I ran the working sheet back through the boom which was up against the shorouds., this got the weight of the line off the clew, as well as helf the foot open and allowed the almost non-existent wind fill the bag better...and off we ghosted, passing everything but the iron jennies! heh
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Dean Abramson

Just an idea

Post by Dean Abramson »

Try copying the link, and pasting that into your browser. Or copying everything up to the last slash, and then navigating to the article thru links on the website.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Dean Abramson

Thanks

Post by Dean Abramson »

Dideraux,

Thanks. I will definitely try that.

A full-fledged spinnaker pole came with the boat, but it seems like its weight would be too much. Of course, maybe my sail is an actual spinnaker. I hope not. I am going to the boat today, so I will get it, finally pull it out of the bag, and spread it out on the floor of my studio. If it is still a mystery, I will photograph it, then let you guys see it and help me figure it out.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Troy Scott

what kind of sheet?

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks,

The article on aspins stressed the importance of using sheets that won't absorb water and become heavy. What material is he talking about?
Regards,
Troy Scott