Leaving the dock

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Did anyone ever try the riding sail idea?

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

Nigel,
last year someone proposed the idea of a riding sail. When you clear the slip the bow would be automatically turned into the wind. I would leave the sail unsheated until you were in the fairway and then sheet it in to bring the nose around. I have been thinking of trying the idea myself, but there have always been other priorites and not enough time to make the riding sail.

We have a similar problem, but a much heavier boat and more room than you. Our trick is to go with the flow when in reverse. When the bow blows the wrong way, we head the wrong way down the fairway. When foreward speed becomes sufficient we make a 180 degree turn. I don't know if you have room for that.

Matt
John G.

dock trouble resolved

Post by John G. »

if you really want to solve the docking problem maybe a mooring would be your best bet, no trouble leaving, coming back or some of the other dock issues. i have been on a mooring now for 9 or 10 years and have enjoyed it very much, if i want company there's plenty of people i can dinghy to, and the cost is not even a comparision. i like it and so does the boat.
Joe Montana
Member 781

Try A Mooring

Post by Joe Montana »

One solution that hasn't been mentioned (until a minute ago) is switching to a mooring, if that's possible. I've always kept my boats at moorings and I find it quieter, less expensive and generally more appealing. I know there's a convenience tradeoff, but it's reduced with launch service. I think boats are happier facing into the wind.
patturner

walk it out?

Post by patturner »

Don't know if I have a completely clear picture, but how 'bout this - could you get the boat all prepped, engine going, etc. and simply walk the boat out of the slip. Walk along holding the lifeline or shrouds until most of the boat is in exposed water. Would the wind want to push the stern easterly now? You could then step up on to the toe rail and give a shove off the dock with your other foot pushing the bow further out into the channel and facing west. Don't know if I've detailed that well, but I sail a CD36 and
have had to do this sort of thing in my Marina when single handed and it's windy.

Just a thought
________
F50
________
HEALTH STORE
Last edited by patturner on Feb 15th, '11, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.
RonE58

backing out of your slip...

Post by RonE58 »

Hey Warren,
I just brought my new CD 27 #181 up from Maryland and into its home slip at the gateway marina in Brooklyn. I had an Ensign for the last 3 seasons and had little or no problem coming in and out of the slip, this CD though is another story. When you are at the dock what side is the dolphin pole on, port or starboard?
Ron
'go mets'

quote="Warren Kaplan"]I too feel your pain...and everyone's anguish to the point of making any excuse not to sail that day if the winds around the slip howled disaster pending.

I used a heavy line from my starboard side stern cleat, around the dock's dolphin pole and back to my cockpit when backing out. The line was 60 feet long (CD27) and when the bow of my boat cleared the last pole I haul on the line keeping my stern going to starboard while my bow went to port. When I was facing the right direction, I put her into neutral and hauled that 60 foot line aboard and off I went.

Tod Mills makes an excellent point about his marina's rule of having the entire boat and its appendages inside the slip. Here's why:

My old slip in Bay Shore Long Island was right across from a big power boat that backed in. It had a huge bowsprit with a rather large and intimidating anchor hanging down. The distance across the channel was narrow. In order for me to make the turn into my slip I had to literally brush by that bowsprit. On day as I was slowly going by a gust of wind blew me a little off course and closer to the behemoth power boat. That god damn anchor caught my starboard side shrouds!! I thought for sure Sine Qua Non was gonna be dismasted. Luckily I was going slow enough that the boat just stopped. Getting the anchor out from behind the shrouds was an interesting exercise to say the least. The upshot of this was that not only was there anguish psychologically when leaving the slip...I also spent all day worrying if I was gonna make it back into the slip with SQN in one piece. :oops:[/quote]
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Adjacent slip outboards

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

Nigel,
I know it pays to be a good neighbor, but as noted in an earlier post there might be a solution from the marina. My marina just did an audit and added extra length to every boat hardware to hardware.
Maybe if these powerboaters were facing another 2 or 3 feet in length charges for raised outdrives, figured forward and billed as an upcharge now...well...might work.
Serge