CD 28 fuel tank change

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tradewinds780
formerly CD 27, Bolero, St Petersberg, FL

Re: Links for pictures...

Post by tradewinds780 »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:
tradewinds780 wrote:.....Some people post links to pictures and others actually have the pictures come up on the site. I read the directions but obviously didn't understand them.

How do you make the pictures appear in the thread?

See the following "Sticky" message in the "About this Board" forum of this web site:
  • Sticky: Include a photo or graphic in a message posting....how to...
Basically, if you already have the URL for an online photo, just copy/paste the URL into your message posting, highlight/select the entire URL, then click on the "Img" button. For this to work, the URL must end with one of the following file extensions: .jpg, .gif or .png.

Cathy
Webmaster -- CDSOA, Inc.
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Thanks Cathy, now I understand. It was missing the .jpg at the end so I should have used URL tag.

PK
mattlydon

SS tanks

Post by mattlydon »

My boat has the same mounting method, but luckily came with two brand-new SS tanks. I will take a look to see if they have any markings on them, but I beleive they were somewhat generic, something like 'rick's custom tanks'

Matt
mattlydon

http://www.lutherswelding.com/marine_tanks.html

Post by mattlydon »

I checked out the tanks - luther's welding.

I spoke to the PO last night, who said they custom made them for him. When I bought the boat from him 2 seasons ago, he had the tanks listed as $400 per.
tradewinds780

Re: SS tanks

Post by tradewinds780 »

mattlydon wrote:My boat has the same mounting method, but luckily came with two brand-new SS tanks. I will take a look to see if they have any markings on them, but I beleive they were somewhat generic, something like 'rick's custom tanks'

Matt
Matt,

What exactly is holding them in. I talked to Sunshine Marine Tanks here in Miami and they said that the tanks need to be supported. The tabs they put on the Aluminum tanks are not strong enough to support them.

My friend who owns a boat factory said I would be better off with aluminum.

Do you have the dimensions of the tanks and/ or any pictures of them installed?

PK
mattlydon

fiberglass beds

Post by mattlydon »

The tanks are held in fiberglass beds bonded to the hull, up in the area where your tanks are. metal straps hold them to the beds.

I though I had a picture around from a previous post - will either find it or take new ones this weekend
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

all of you need the product called GUNK

Post by winthrop fisher »

:roll: john get the product for the tank called "GUNK" and it will clean the fuel and junk out of your tank.

thats what its for...

goto any marine store...
tradewinds780

Re: fiberglass beds

Post by tradewinds780 »

mattlydon wrote:The tanks are held in fiberglass beds bonded to the hull, up in the area where your tanks are. metal straps hold them to the beds.

I though I had a picture around from a previous post - will either find it or take new ones this weekend
Thanks, pictures of the straps and attachment mechanism would really help.

PK
mattlydon

got the pics, how to post them.....

Post by mattlydon »

Looking for posting instructons now - if you have a direct email account, I'll send them to you - PM me...
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
mattlydon

got pics - click on them to see full size

Post by mattlydon »

tradewinds780

Beautiful tanks

Post by tradewinds780 »

Thanks guys, that really gives me something to work with.

My original installation isn't nearly as neat or serviceable but now that I know what can be done, I can try to figure out how to replicate it on mine. I really like the custom cradle that they glassed to the hull.

I may just put in a small poly tank for now to satisfy the insurance co. and then when I get it back to FL I will have better weather and more affordable work areas to do it right.

For now I am still bogged down in throwing stuff out so I can get out of this apt. and get up to the boat. I thought I would be out two days ago but it looks like at least another week.

PK