CD 28 fuel tank change

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John J.

CD 28 fuel tank change

Post by John J. »

Has anybody ever changed their fuel tank on a CD28? The old tank is showing signs of rust and is pretty gunked up inside. I'm thinking going plastic to avoid this problem. Any comments?
John J.
paul marko

Post by paul marko »

I am the original owner of a 77 CD 28 ,it came with an aluminum fuel tank which I have taken out several times and pressure washed. Each time I opened the tank there was a lot of sluge in the bottom, but I have not experienced problems with fuel contamination. The tank had a few pin holes which I had welded. I don't really like the design of the tank because it does not have an inspection hole,I open the hole that houses the fill guage for cleaning. There exists on the market, retro- fit inspection hole kits, that would make cleaning a lot easer. In general I have found the Alumium tank durable and have had no major problems with it.

The removal of the tank is a simple matter of disconecting hoses,ground wires,and undoing three screws. The time required is about 45 minutes.
John J.

CD 28 fuel tank change

Post by John J. »

Thanks Paul for the reply. My 28 came with a 13 gal round steel tank. I had the yard pull it for me because it looked like quite a job. I was right. They had to cut slightly along the edge of the cockpit lazarette to get it out. Fortunately that was done in a place where it isn't visible with the hatch closed. Now the decision is what to use as a replacement. I would think aluminium is a good choice from a maintenance point of view. Glad to hear that yours is working out for you.....John
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi John,

My CD28 has a 12 gal alum tank made by Tempo. I do not think Tempo makes alum tanks currently. They do make a 11~12 gal plastic tanks. Found here:

http://www.tempoproducts.com/2004/bd_fuel_tanks1.html

This listing is from West Marine for a 13 gal alum tank that looks to be a near exact copy of the Tempo tank I have.:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... 1/257/78/6

In either case you will probably have to fabricate a new mounting box/bracket for the tank. On my 28 the tank extended about half of its length through the cockpit bulkhead into the galley cabinette.

Take care,
Fred B
Last edited by fenixrises on Feb 4th, '06, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Luthers Welding

Post by Ron Turner »

John,

I had Luthers Welding make me a new aluminum tank to fit a similar location for my CD30K. Cost about $400. Tank is 12 gal and made to my specs for fittings, flanges and fill. Thay did a nice job on the tank and reasonable turn around time too.
Ron Turner
tradewinds780
formerly CD 27, Bolero, St Petersberg, FL

Re: CD 28 fuel tank change

Post by tradewinds780 »

John J. wrote:Has anybody ever changed their fuel tank on a CD28? The old tank is showing signs of rust and is pretty gunked up inside. I'm thinking going plastic to avoid this problem. Any comments?
John J.
My "New to me" 1977 CD 28 has 2 round red fuel tanks that are weeping.

The insurance Co. won't cover me for navigation until I replace them.

The boat is in Cape Cod and I am in Miami. I contacted Florida Marine tanks but they have moved to SC and haven't called back yet.

Does anybody have the measurements of the cockpit locker opening. I am trying to figure out the easiest way to do the change out.

thanks

PK
sealark
"Sea Lark"

I used a Moeller Tank

Post by sealark »

I replaced the old tank in my 28 with a standard size plastic tank from Moeller. It is a 12 gallon tank - and it fit through the lazarette with no modifications.

The tank was slightly taller than the original - so I had to trim a little plywood to get it to fit on the original shelf.

Kevin
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

John J. wrote:Has anybody ever changed their fuel tank on a CD28? The old tank is showing signs of rust and is pretty gunked up inside. I'm thinking going plastic to avoid this problem. Any comments?
John J.
You might want to go with an aluminum tank. As we move more and more towards bio-fuels, which don't play well with plastics or rubber (so keep an eye on your hoses), you'll be better positioned to deal with the newer fuels. Try RDS, they have stock marine fuel tanks and they'll do custom tanks as well.

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/

Another one to try would be Florida Marine Tanks:

http://www.floridamarinetanks.com/

There are others. Use GOOGLE and search on "aluminum marine fuel tanks".

Also check your current tank. There should be a label on it somewhere that shows the name of the manufacturer, serial number, and the tank capacity. If they're still in business, you can order a new one from them.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
tradewinds780

Post by tradewinds780 »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:
John J.
You might want to go with an aluminum tank. As we move more and more towards bio-fuels, which don't play well with plastics or rubber (so keep an eye on your hoses), you'll be better positioned to deal with the newer fuels. Try RDS, they have stock marine fuel tanks and they'll do custom tanks as well.

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/

Another one to try would be Florida Marine Tanks:

http://www.floridamarinetanks.com/

There are others. Use GOOGLE and search on "aluminum marine fuel tanks".

Also check your current tank. There should be a label on it somewhere that shows the name of the manufacturer, serial number, and the tank capacity. If they're still in business, you can order a new one from them.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay

Cathy,

I agree with you on the metal tanks. I will probably also have them epoxy coated as well.

Both of my tanks are round and so far all of the tanks I have looked at are some combination of flat shapes. I am hoping that Florida Marine Tanks made the round ones so that I don't have to make brackets, etc. Mine hang just under the deck.

http://picasaweb.google.com/BarbaraDowW ... 4391716690

If I get a bolt in replacement, I get to go sailing that much sooner.

I'm a Florida boy and the prices of the boat yards up North put me into shock so I am hoping for a quick install and off I go. At least they will let me do the work myself.

PK
CDSOA Webmaster wrote:I changed the BBCoding for your link from the [Img] tag to the [URL] tag. It works now.

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
tradewinds780

florida Marine Tanks

Post by tradewinds780 »

Cathy,
Thanks for fixing the Pic.

I just talked to Florida Marine Tanks and they don't make cylindrical tanks.

I guess I will have to wait till I get up there, pull the existing tanks and see how to rig up a new tank.

Has anybody replaced the round tanks and do you have pictures of how they are attached and what did you replace them with?

thanks

PK
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

They're not in FL, they're in NJ, but Atlantic Coast Welding makes marine fuel tanks in all different sizes and shapes, including cylindrical.

http://www.speedytanks.com/order/design.html

Or try Best Fabrications in Bartow, FL:

http://www.bestfab.com/index.html
tradewinds780

Good Call!

Post by tradewinds780 »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:They're not in FL, they're in NJ, but Atlantic Coast Welding makes marine fuel tanks in all different sizes and shapes, including cylindrical.

http://www.speedytanks.com/order/design.html

Or try Best Fabrications in Bartow, FL:

http://www.bestfab.com/index.html
Thanks! Good call Cathy,

I have been googling tanks for days. Of all the manufacturers I checked, that is the first one that shows round tanks.

Some people post links to pictures and others actually have the pictures come up on the site. I read the directions but obviously didn't understand them.

How do you make the pictures appear in the thread?

I see that it is only a 6 hour drive from Cape Cod to Atlantic Coastal Welding. I might invest the time in an air conditioned car and have them make an exact replacement to save myself probably days in a hot and sweaty cockpit locker trying to jury rig a different shape tank.

PK
Stan W.

Shops closer to the Cape.

Post by Stan W. »

You might want to check out one of these two shops:

1. Capeway Welding (part of New England Propellor) in Plymouth, MA, about 20 minutes off the Cape.

2. Kentfab in Hanover, MA, about 40 minutes off the Cape.

I've used them both for little jobs and they do good work. Not sure how affordable they would be though.

You could also call Kingman Marine, Parkers Boat Yard or Falmouth Marine to see who they recommend.
Cathy Monaghan

Re: Links for pictures...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

tradewinds780 wrote:.....Some people post links to pictures and others actually have the pictures come up on the site. I read the directions but obviously didn't understand them.

How do you make the pictures appear in the thread?

See the following "Sticky" message in the "About this Board" forum of this web site:
  • Sticky: Include a photo or graphic in a message posting....how to...

Basically, if you already have the URL for an online photo, just copy/paste the URL into your message posting, highlight/select the entire URL, then click on the "Img" button. For this to work, the URL must end with one of the following file extensions: .jpg, .gif or .png.

Cathy
Webmaster -- CDSOA, Inc.
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
tradewinds780

Re: Shops closer to the Cape.

Post by tradewinds780 »

Stan W. wrote:You might want to check out one of these two shops:

1. Capeway Welding (part of New England Propellor) in Plymouth, MA, about 20 minutes off the Cape.

2. Kentfab in Hanover, MA, about 40 minutes off the Cape.

I've used them both for little jobs and they do good work. Not sure how affordable they would be though.

You could also call Kingman Marine, Parkers Boat Yard or Falmouth Marine to see who they recommend.
Thanks Stan, the boat is at Parkers right now, on the hard and I will be up there in the next couple of weeks, hopefully. Then it will be easier to see what I am dealing with. I didn't know it would be an immediate issue until I got the word from the Insurance co. After I get the measurements, I will start calling around for prices.

PK