Teak Coamings

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Glen

Re: How to remove coamings?

Post by Glen »

Mathias wrote:I have a CD25, and want to re-varnish my coamings, but they are attached to the cabin at the forward end of the coaming. How have others removed this, and how is it best re-attached? Your experience would be appreciated.

The forward end of the coaming boards on my '83 CD30c were attached to the cabin sides with 3M 5200...from what I could tell it look like they had never been removed before. I removed all bungs and screws (in the cockpit). I removed the cover plates inside the cabin and the screws holding the forward end of the coaming boards. I then applied copious amounts of the antibond stuff and used a hacksaw blade to remove them. It took the better part of a day to let the antibond soak in a little and slowly work the goo out with the hacksaw blade being very careful not to scratch the surrounding gelcoat, reapply antibond and repeat. If you get in a hurry and pry them off, you will likely pull the gelcoat off along with them (if yours are bonded with 5200 as well).

When I replaced them, I used 5200 on the forward end and 4200 in the cockpit.

I have not yet sealed the sides to keep the water from running under the edge and onto the cockpit seat. I have found that taking just a bit of a wave over the bow will allow the water to run onto the seat as it drains aft along the toerail. After the next coat of varnish I plan on running a bead of sealant down the crack.

It was a bit of work removing them, but it really paid off in the end.
jim

cd teak bright work

Post by jim »

Just bought a cd25 . Bright work was varnished a long time ago it's peeling really bad . Needs complete refinishing any suggestions to the best finish . Varnish vs teak oil. Jim
Mathias

Varnish vs. oil

Post by Mathias »

I would suggest varnishing as opposed to oiling, but then again I am a masochist.

Buy Rebecca Wittman's book "Brightwork" or the less expensive "Brightwork Companion." But be forewarned, the book can make you a varnish-addict.

She also has a website at
http://www.brightwork.us/home.html

Take care,
-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
Bill Oyster

Post by Bill Oyster »

I am a strong proponent for a watertight caulking job. When sailing in the Gulf of Mexico last spring we were beating into the waves on our Cape Dory 31. Nothing too dramatic but taking a fair amount of water over the bow. I found that the waves were funneled along the heeled over corner between cabin and deck, back to the cockpit, and consolidated under the coaming where it came out like a mini Niagara Falls. Now the sunny air temp was 65, the water temp 55. Not foully weather but pretty miserable with a soggy butt! There's plenty of elemental misery to be found at sea without intentionally leaving out a simple tube of caulk!

Bill