CD Typhoon in South Carolina

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Re: CD Typhoon in South Carolina

Post by Skeep »

All kinds of eye-candy exists on this part of the site.

Here is a video "eye candy" which I posted on my blog but wanted to make sure you all had the luxury of just watching it through a link right here instead:

www.https://youtu.be/XSAXZxSsspg

If you don't care for the sailing, you might like the soundtrack. I thought it appropriate. Enjoy after 5am....
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Summer shade affords my Typhoon time to relax underneath that comprehensive cover. A real heat deflector too I discovered the other day. We even got some new crushed rock to set off the grey boot stripe on her:

Skeep
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

We're ending a several years of bliss with some sadness because Baggy Wrinkles is a Typhoon of some class and endearment. We will move on to another Alberg, a 30, the same designer created a bit larger design. We fell in love with the sturdy character of the Ty and found the Alberg suited us and our future needs. Plus, we don't want the perplexity of having more than one sailboat, like having several lovers, it just doesn't work well in the end! We'll stay with one, that's enough.

Thus, it is another Association, a beginning with them and a parting from here, although I may lurk from time to time...

So, it's been a great experience reading the posts here and learning how to make my Ty better and better. Mostly, it has been an utter delight to share such a passage with so many of you. And now, a final post for now of the essence of this vessel, and one vision I will always remember--a photo the First Mate took last June:

Each of you who sail the Ty know what this really is...Unforgettable.
Skeep
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

This is a 3 photo conclusion to my gorgeous and reliable Typhoon, Baggy Wrinkles, which was sold to its new owner/keeper/sailor while at the Typhoon Nationals in Irvington, Virginia. Brad Perry purchased this gal and positioned her on Typhoon Alley where are kept about a dozen Typhoons. From here Baggy Wrinkles will continue to enthrall its owner with good looks and enjoyable time on the water.

When she first came to live with me, she was in need of lots of care, refurbishing, and updating. She had all the "right stuff" but needed some TLC. This 3 years has been an enjoyable journey filled with sanding, varnishing, sailing, painting, polishing, fixing, sailing, story telling, and so many days on the water with blowing winds and a little boat that seemed to skip over the waves with glee. It has been memorable.

My journey of three years with Baggy Wrinkles has come to an end because of the First Mate's and my decision to purchase our "final" sailboat in this long adventure, a sailboat which is a Tyhoon on steriods, an Alberg 30. I will keep my membership in the CDSOA but have already joined myself to the Alberg 30 Membership. We purchased ours from a fine couple in Nova Scotia, where she had been waiting for a year for just the right buyer. We're happy we made the decision, and will take receipt of her this June by delivery. And then, the process will begin again, looking at what must be fixed and what may be fixed, before putting her in Lake Murray and getting to know her better. I will leave all the CD Typoon "up" on my blog in the event a member wishes to contact me or observe how I did something to make the Ty better in any way. I think the new owner will relish the itty bitty cruiser as much as I have, and still do.

The Alberg Adventure will continue via the Blog I have listed here below, as I see it as a transition in the family, not a departure. Enjoy our ride with us!

Here she is jumping into Carter's Creek on her way to the Rappahannock River....

Being lifted and hauled to her assigned place on the row...

This is where you will find her today, in Irvington VA, on Typhoon Alley
Skeep
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Looking forward to seeing pics of the new A30! Best of luck.
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

David, I came upon your Alberg blog yesterday and was reading. I hope you post more items. I'm filled with questions on many things so am "soaking up" data at this point. Thanks for your appreciation of the photos on the CD site. :)
Skeep
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Well my time in Albergland continues with my refit of the Alberg 30, however, time and again, I am reminded of the similarity of the Typhoon to this grand ole gal the 30.

Same hull configuration, same teak appointments, just larger in every aspect. As with my Typhoon, Baggy Wrinkles, I am keeping the 30 much in the same style, doing the teak work, fixing things that needed attention. And with the Alberg, I have a half dozen thru-hulls it seems rather than just 2 as before. And there is a diesel, which I really like, needing rerouting, and sprucing up, which I've done.

See what I mean? The same, just bigger! One of the great things about the Alberg and Cape Dories is that there is a lot of cross-over and applicability in both designs so that solutions for one may be good for the other and vis-versa. So this adventure is a splendid and yet sometimes tiring journey in many of the same places.

Still have not splashed her yet, as am awaiting to pull the prop-shaft and get a new one for the ole gal. Am thinking about a folding prop too yet the cost of that seems highly prohibitive--not sure I will sense at the helm the difference. Yet I wonder. Others with CDs of this size may have ideas for me on that which I relish to learn.

Skeep
Dan McNece

Post by Dan McNece »

She's a beauty!
:wink:
Daniel - Rhapsody Blog
“A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” — Lao Tzu
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Handsome looking Alberg. Is that a zinc on your rudder?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

It's a magnesium for fresh water. Was a zinc as the vessel had come from Nova Scotia.
Skeep
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

This is funny. So I had to get my prop shaft and prop remanufactured. And the prop needed some fixing and cleaning up. Upon finishing this, the machinist handed me the parts, one of which was the prop, and he'd written my name on it LOL. I tried to take it off with several removers but alas, that's my prop with my name on it! Don't think you're gonna steal that!

I never had these issues with my Typhoon!

Skeep
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Nice to see a prop properly installed. Frequently see the nuts in the wrong order. Here's an informative link concerning prop jam nuts.

http://www.passagemaker.com/channels/pr ... h-busting/
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Skeep (a/k/a "Bill McCoy"):

In the photo you posted should we see a sacrificial zinc on the prop shaft :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil