Beaufort NC to the Upper Chesapeake Advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MarcMcCarron

Beaufort NC to the Upper Chesapeake Advice

Post by MarcMcCarron »

I'm planning to take my CD30K from Beaufort NC to
the upper Chesapeake Bay this May. I'm Trying to decide between the off shore passage and the inland ICW route. If I go offshore, I add another 100 miles but bypass the canals, Norfolk ect. It seems like day one would take me to the Atlantic in
the early AM, day two would start at dawn approaching
Cape Hatteras and day three would start with the approach
of Cape Henry. Are there any Carolina sailors who would
have advice for me regarding this passage? I plan to
leave Beaufort in mid May and would only undertake the
offshore route with a good weather forecast. If the
winds are 10-15 from the SW or S will I encounter difficulty at the edge of the Gulf Stream? My offshore experience is limited but I guess one has to grow sometime. Any input would be appreciated.

Marc McCarron
CD30K Feather-soon to be renamed Cleona
MARC MCCARRON
Pete

Contacts

Post by Pete »

Congrats on becoming the new CD Owner. We have considered inside vs. outside several times. Yes, you miss the swamp and the ICW, but from having talked with folks who have made this trip outside---there are several major concerns you need to pay attention to. The first, is making sure that you go far enough off shore around Diamond Shoals to stay safe. The second issue is a weather window. Third, because you will be so far off the cost, you need to be ready (and have the confidence) to make an off-shore trip. Not to mention having the necessary safety equipment.

The only "concern" I would have with your making this trip, is that she is a new boat to you. If you do decide to go inside, you can have a great trip by going north via the Pamlico Sound to Ocracoke, Maneto, then to Elizabeth City. The sound gives you a great sail without having to motor up the ditch. The trip from Oriental (1/2 day up from where you are), would be three travel day trips (1 to Ocracoke, 1 long day to Manteo, and 1 more up to Elizabeth City.) From there, its a motor trip. If you haven't made the trip up the dismal swamp, I would encourage you to do so. The Carolinas' fleet did a loop trip two years from Oriental to Manteo and back. The trip was wonderful.

There are a few captains around who have made the trip. You might try a Private Mail Message to Ron Turner. He has been a great reference for the details involved in trip off shore in/around the East Cost.

P/Cregger
Shanna Paxton
Located in Saint Michaels, MD

Veturing North

Post by Shanna Paxton »

I made this passage last February and went via the intercoastal. Once you are clear of Norfolk, which is an adventure in itself, there is great opportunity to sail and plenty to keep you busy should you choose to sightsee. Plan one day Beaufort to Belhaven, one long day Belhaven to Coinjock; one day Coinjock to Norfolk. When I did it last it snowed and was two days later 65 degrees. Your conditions would obviouslybe better. Any way you go it is a great trip.

Fairwinds,
Shanna
Shanna Paxton
CD 30 MK II Hull#17
marilou

Heading North

Post by marilou »

I would suggest the ICW route. Norfolk is not that bad. Portsmouth (across from Norfolk) has a race up and down the Elizabeth River (Cock Island Race) with as many as 300+ sailboats sailing with the navy and commercial traffic.

If you can plan your trip to leave Elizabeth City and time it, such, that you can make it to Hampton - the same day - that is what I would suggest. It is about a 2-4 hour sail from Norfolk (I.C.W.mile marker 1) to Hampton. If, you time it right - you might catch the Black Seal cup in Hampton June 1st. There will be plenty of boats heading North after the series of races. http://hamptonyc.com/ Link has useful information like Bridge openings on the I.C.W.,military warnings, weekly events, and local links. From Hampton I would plan on going to Deltaville or Onnancock in a Day. It all depends on the weather and tides. From there it depends on where you are heading.

Check out the weather Channel at 9PM Sun. Marc 25 Epic Condiions. Feature on sailing conditions on the Cheasepeke Bay.
marilou

A reminder, weather channel 9 pm today

Post by marilou »

Weather E.S.T 9 PM
chase

thanks marilou

Post by chase »

'ppreciate the heads up, we're gonna watch it.

Hope to sail north through the bay and up to DC next summer.

Chase