Asymms and Drifters: Terminology

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dean Abramson

Asymms and Drifters: Terminology

Post by Dean Abramson »

I see and hear a lot of discussion about drifters and assymmetrical spinnakers. I may be confused abut the terminology.

I own an asymm. It flies freely on its own halyard and downhaul forward of the headstay; it has no hanks; it is big, full-bellied and light like a symmetrical spinnaker, only it is assymetrical and can be used with no pole.

It seems to me that around twenty years ago is when I first heard the term "drifter." My impression then was that a drifter was basically a huge (say 180%) genoa made of lightweight material. It might have been cut fuller than a genny, but it hanked on the headstay and used the jib halyard, and was tacked to the boat like a genny.

Continuing with my impressions, it seems that the drifter fell into disfavor and morphed into the asymm. My impression is that new drifters are rarely made these days, supplanted by the asymm. But obviously, there are still drifters around. My hunch is that as more and more boats went to roller furling headsails, the popularity of a hank-on drifter went downhill. Meanwhile, asymm popularity increased, particularly as the racing set got interested in them.

NOW, would someone tell me if I know what I am talking about?

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Dean:

In the current issue of Sail magazine (April 2007) there is an article entitled Downwind Sails for Cruising beginning at page 105. For me, at my tadpole level of knowledge, I found it informative.

If you do not subscribe to Sail, send me a PM with your address (I may have it from my trip to inspect your CD 25D last year but I am not sure) and I will mail you a color copy of the article.

Fair Winds,

Robert
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
CaptRaul
Port Salerno, Florida

Post by CaptRaul »

You are correct in the understanding of a drifter vs a "cruising chute" Drifters are hanked on to the fore stay while the "A"has a free flying luff that allows the sail to rotate around for better down wind performance. Hope this helps
Andy Denmark

further clarification

Post by Andy Denmark »

My $.02 worth here.

There is still confusion about the drifter v. assymetrical spin designation. While many drifters do hank on to a headstay, some drifters don't use hanks at all. Many of them are free flying on their own luff ropes (or sometimes luff wires) without being physically attached to anything except at the tack and clew. They work well that way.

The new low-stretch cordages make them a natural for use as luff ropes on free flying drifters. With a loop at the head and tack these can be hoisted on any halyard -- genoa or spinnaker -- and tacked on the deck on, or just aft of, the normal jib tack. Even a deck cleat will do as a tack point.

These sails are great in light air, especially on boats with roller furling headsails. Since roller furlers are absolutely lousy in light air, a free flying drifter set behind the R.F. genny is a good solution. These can be used with Chutesoops but that is overkill in my book as they aren't nearly the area of a spinnaker and much easier to handle as all the corners are secured inside the boat.

There is another fallacy in thinking about a "drifter," and that is that a larger LP results in a more powerful sail. The most effective drifters are tall and relatively narrow, usually not more than 110% LP and with no (or negative) roach. Larger than this and the weight of the cloth on the relatively long foot starts pulling down and the top part of the sail ceases to work. In drifting conditions sail shape is much more desirable than sail area.

Hope this helps,
________
Luv
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Andy, why behind the RF head sail? I have an unhanked drifter. Looks like a mega genny. I have always flown it as far forward as possible on the spinnaker halyard. I did buy a cheap chute snuffer for it this winter as I would like to fly it solo and this seems like it would tame the beast a bit easier. I have a cutter so I was jibing it forward of everything. I do not have a way to adjust the tack so any change in tension needs to be made with the halyard. Am I missing anything major here? Interesting comment about the sail getting too big for it's own good, Steve.
Dean Abramson

Tackability

Post by Dean Abramson »

I would assume that having it behind the RF sail means Andy can tack it (as well as jibe it). That would not work, of course, with the cutter rig.

Steve, you could run the tack line down to a block at the bow, then back to the cockpit; then you could use that to adjust tension.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Andy Denmark

Correction

Post by Andy Denmark »

Okay, guess I should have said the "conventional" way to fly a drifter is to tack it down aft of the headstay. There are some, Steve being one, who fly this sail ahead of the stay. In light winds I think where the tack of the sail is secured doesn't much matter -- whatever works best. My neighbor flew his drifter tacked to the furthermost tip of his bow pulpit and it worked fine. Another friend tacks his to the weather bow cleat so the luff of the drifter will be clear of the turbulence around the furled genny, i.e., a "clean" entry.

As for tacking, a drifter (with tack aft of the headstay) can be tacked or jibed like a normal jib or genny. Of course, cutter rigs must be dealt with in whatever way owners like best. On a cutter, I think the damage done to the stitching in tacking a .75 oz or 1.5 oz nylon sail past the staysail stay would be so significant over a short time that I'd strike it and rehoist on the other tack instead of drag it past all that 1 X 19 wire. (Not a lot different than a yankee or genoa in that respect)

IMHO, you have to be a certain kind of crazy to attempt to tack a true assymetrical chute behind the headstay. I can't think of a single reason why anyone would do this. That isn't to say that there aren't some people who prefer this method and if it makes them happy then so be it. (I can't figure the appeal of lightweight nyon wrapped around rigging, though?)

Ah, so ---- another beautiful sailing weekend here with 70+ temps, light winds, no pollen (yet), so grab some chow, libations, a bathing suit and throw off the dock lines!!! Oh, first I need to dewinterize the engine and fill the water tanks -- 15 minute task at best!

Does this clarify anything?
________
Medical marijuana dispensaries
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Indeed a drifter can be hanked on or put in the sloft of a furler, but can also be set free as well, with a wire luff (as mine is).

Best way to think of the difference betwren and spinnaker and drifter is think of a drifter as more an upwind sail, which a spinnaker certainly is not, reall just think of it as a gigantic genoa made of very light cloth (and ussually colorful like a spinnaker). A drifter can as well be used downwind, as you would use a genny downwind, but at that point you would be better of dousing the drifter and setting the spinnaker.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)