Installing a holding tank in CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dougw

Installing a holding tank in CD27

Post by dougw »

I am beginning the project of installing a holding tank on my CD 27. Any suggestions on the process, where the tank should be installed... Thanks :?:
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Fiberglass holding tank

Post by John D. »

Before I bought Lilypad, one of the prior owners had a boatyard install a fiberglass holding tank. It is outboard of the head, and uses the hull as one of the sides of the tank. Fore-aft, it fills the space between the two bulkheads. So, it maximizes the tank volume for the available space, more so than a prefab polyethylene tank would do. On the other hand, it really can't be serviced at all, although it has not needed it during my 3 years of ownership.

[img]https://home.comcast.net/~jfdafd/2006-12-31-D016e1.jpg[/img]
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

The holding tank on my 1980 CD27 is beneath the port side settee berth in the cabin. Hose goes thru the bulkhead between the head and the cabin (unseen beneath the settee) and into the tank. Then the tank has a vent line forward, and a hose for pumpout that goes up to the port side deck.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Holding tanks

Post by Jim Davis »

Not a direct answer, but check out the Alberg 30 site for guidance. Of interest is the venting and plumbing. This is a novel, and working, way to be self servicing where allowed.
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Head/
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

CD 27 Holding Tank

Post by Bob Owens »

On my 1977 CD 27, a p.o. installed a holding tank under the port v-berth, just forward of the bulkhead. An 8" circular hole, with plug, in the plywood of the berth gives access to a screw-in plate on the top of the tank. For further access to the whole system, it is not a huge job to take out 6-8 wood screws and remove the whole plywood base of the berth. Mine is clearly a replacement system, but the absence of hose-holes elsewhere suggests that this was the location also of the factory original. The 20- gal. tank is not glassed in, but is held in place by very hefty straps. I was dubious of this arrangement at first, but it is rock solid still after four years. Air vent is just below the toe-rail about 4' aft of the bow, and pump-out deck plate is also on the port foredeck. Both of the latter are above and slightly forward of the tank itself.
bobc

Here's what I did

Post by bobc »

A while back I decided to build a holding tank for my CD27. I probably didn't save any money, but I did end up with a custom tank that fits perfectly. I took lots of pictures of the tank as I was building it, and have been meaning to post some of them for some time.

Additional pictures and descriptions can now be found at http://holdingtank.cd27.org

Bob Cutler
1981 CD27 (sold)
Everett, WA