Prepurchase Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jchronic

Prepurchase Question

Post by jchronic »

Greetings All -

Just joined the board and am seriously looking at purchasing a certain CD30 ketch. The broker indicated the boat was in need of some structural repair around the mainmast step. When I went to look the boat over, all I can see is some fiberglass crazing that I'd consider normal for a 1979 boat. Inside, I can't see any sagging or indentation around the forward bulkhead or overhead liner that would tell me there's damage. I was also surprised that the boat doesn't have a compression post under the mast in the cabin.

Questions: (1) Is the mast on CD30s simply supported by the bulkhead? (2) Should I be looking in any particular area to find a possible structural problem in the step? (I am going to have a survey before I make an offer)

Love the boat's lines and hope I'll be joining what seems to be a lot of happy and proud CD owners. Any info will be appreciated.

Joe Chronic
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

The mast compression is spread to the bulkheads fore and aft of the head by a steel H plate encased in the fiberglass. Seems to work pretty well.

There is a whole host of things to look at in any boat of that vintage, and there are many books out there with systematic checklists for a buyer to examine before deciding to make an offer and get a survey.

One thing to keep an eye out for are the shroud and stay padeye backing plates. In that era CD used mild steel. Some owners have had sufficient rust and corrosion to require replacement which is not a trivial job, as they are glassed in. You can still get a good idea of their condition by scraping around under there. Others seem to have weathered the years in pretty good shape. GOod luck!
jchronic

Thanks for the Info

Post by jchronic »

Bill -

Appreciate the insight into how the mainmast is supported, and pointing me toward scrutinizing the chainplate backing plates. Re the steel 'H' mast support, I'm assuming it's not accessible for inspection, even if the headliner is removed?

Regards-
Joe C.
Ron M.

Look up !

Post by Ron M. »

Don't forget to examine the steel bow reinforcing plate in the anchor locker - often degraded
________
Lifeguard (Automobile Safety)
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
jchronic

Prepurchase Question

Post by jchronic »

Thanks for that tip Ron. My present boat is a Luger Voyager 30 (from the old, defunct 'kit boat' outfit) which needs a complete overhaul - the reason I'm in the market for something to sail while I undertake that process (estimate 2 years). When I was finishing off the Voyager bare hull back in the early 80s, the stemhead area needed to be reinforced with woven roving and a backing plate underneath to adequately support the stemhead fitting load.

Many didn't do this because of the awkwardness of working in that area and I understand several rigs were lost as a result (not mine). Luger finally issued a bulletin on the problem. Difficult access areas are potential disasters on any boat, especially as they age. Hence my inqueries re the CD30.

When the broker mentioned that the mainmast step needed some structural repair, and then I didn't see a compression post in the cabin, I knew I needed lots more info about these boats than I had. The help from this board is really appreciated.

Joe C.
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Joe,

I do not think you can inspect the mast compression plate, as it is encased in resin. However, if the mast is unstepped you can back out the mast step bolts, lift off the step fitting and shine a light into the small holes to get a limited view of the condition of the plate. If there is no sign of sagging and so sign of water intrusion around the mast step, then it is likely in very good shape. Some ill-advised prior owners have drilled wiring access holes around the mast step, and when these fail, water can get in and threaten the integrity of the bulkheads. My guess is that could be what the broker was referring to, but it's hard to tell. Be sure to take a close look at how the mast wiring was done. (This applies to any boat, not just CDs).
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

mast support

Post by Paul Grecay »

The plate which distributes the load under the mast is very very heavily built. I have never heard of one failing and I would be very surprised if the broker is correct. Remember that brokers are not necessarily savvy about boat construction just as real estate agents generally don't know squat about the infrastructure, construction, or HVAC of a home....usually they just know how to say things like "...and this is the dining room!"...brokers often are not much better...(of course, there are some that know their stuff). My point is: Get a survey....don't buy a boat without a survey.
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

Just my two cents: since you are conteplating making this kind of investment please hire a competent marine surveyor, it will be the best few hundred bucks you will ever spend.
jchronic

Thanks Again...

Post by jchronic »

...to Bill and the other responders. With this info, I believe the mainmast support is probably OK, but will check around the other backing plates. In any case, I WILL have a survey done; I'm a believer. A few years back, I found a Westsail 43 at a tempting price and got a passing case of 'bigger-boat-itis.' A $600 survey saved me from a $65,000 mistake.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Also look at,

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

if the coach roof and/or the cabin ceiling is dimpled down. There have been various threads about overtightening the standing rigging and the load that has to be distributed by this H plate. Its possible there is a little dimple because of overtightening and everyone is concerned. It may or may not be an issue. The surveyor may or may not be knowledgable in this.
IF you get the boat be careful about CORRECTLY tensioning the rig. Invest in a gauge and do it to specs.
jchronic

Rig tension

Post by jchronic »

Good point, Mark. I'll take another look at it and will of course have the surveyor particularly focus on the step and surrounding area. I got a tad aggressive one spring some years ago while rigging my Voyager and warped the deck in the tabernacle area.

Thanks for the response.

Joe C.