Emergency tiller for Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brad Fuller
Location: 1972 Typhoon "Ursa Minor"Hull #230 New Haven Yacht Club, New Haven, CT

Emergency tiller for Typhoon

Post by Brad Fuller »

I need to make an emergency tiller to carry on board in the event my tiller breaks while I'm sailing. Other than carrying an exact duplicate, does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,
Brad Fuller
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

EMERGENCY TILLER

Post by Oswego John »

The easiest emergency fix for a broken tiller that I can think of is two stout splints and a roll of duct tape or vinyl electrical tape.

The majority of steering trouble with a Ty isn't the tiller, but the rudder blade. An extra tiller won't be of much help if the trouble is under water.

Maybe design a thole setup on the starboard coaming or stern deck. I'm not sure today, but the equipment used to be part of what was needed to pass the USCG requirements.

And then, of course, you could douse the sails and get home with the outboard, which steers.

O J
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Any special reason?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Brad,

Do you have a greater concern than the rest of us? Tiller failure isn't something that's reported here very often and I'm not aware of anyone telling us their Cape Dory tiller failed.

Steering can fail anywhere within the tiller/rudder system and a backup tiller might not help. While it's not common, a backup emergency steering plan is a good idea. A companionway board, oar and lashing could work. A stout bucket and line dragged astern could work, also. It's possible to achieve steering just through sail trim, or so I've read.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
wingreen

re: emergency tiller

Post by wingreen »

My first thought would be to lash an oar to the transom. It might be a little less efficient than a real rudder, but it will work. Alternatively, I don't see any reason why you couldn't lash an oar to the broken tiller as well.
Duncan Maio

Ty Tiller

Post by Duncan Maio »

Brad:

I'm with OJ. I've made quite a few Typhoon tillers for CD owners over the years, and most of the old ones broke down near the tiller strap. There's not much left to grab and steer with, and if you are out in any kind of sea, unbolting the stub would be a chore (and if the tiller is attached to the strap with bronze pins, forget it).

I suppose you could find a piece of pipe that would slip over the tiller strap, but it would probably damage the strap, might get stuck, and might not fit if the tiller broke too far up. A couple of oak splints and some duct tape, and you are limping toward home in a minute or two. Unless, of course, what you have is rudder failure.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Steve Laume

Duck tape

Post by Steve Laume »

If all of the earliest mariners had duct tape to work with instead of plant fibers they would probably have made it to the moon. Don't leave home without it, Steve.
Pete S

emergency steering

Post by Pete S »

One of the Ty's I looked at before I bought mine had a small ( 1/8- 3/16?") hole drilled in the upper part of the rudder. The owner who was an old sea dog said it was to loop a line thru for emergency steering. Of course, it requires one to go overboard to set it up, but it's not a bad idea. I carry a small c-clamp in my toolbox for the same purpose.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi...
in all the years of having the typhoon or cd22 i have never replace the tiller or rudder...
and not to brag, in all the bad storms i have been in nothing has ever happen.
my typhoon is a 1975.
the best thing i can tell you is all was check ever thing under the water and above ever year before putting in too the water....
winthrop