Help! -new Typhoon sucker, err, owner (long)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

NevisTyphoon
Hull # 47

Help! -new Typhoon sucker, err, owner (long)

Post by NevisTyphoon »

I've just been granted co-ownership of a 1982 Typhoon Daysailer in Nevis, West Indies. I say sucker in the title because she needs a lot of work. To make matters worse, although I did some sailing with my father-in-law 20 years ago in Bay Ridge, MD, I've never owned a sailboat, and have hardly been on one since. Of course the good news, as you all well know, is that she seems like a most excellent boat for my intended purposes, which is to have fun and learn how to sail in a fun and forgiving boat. That's she's a beautiful and classic boat makes this project worthwhile.

She's been on the hard, and on her side on sand for about 15 years. Boats in Nevis cost at least twice what they would cost in the US, so she's probably worth saving. The reason boats cost twice as much in Nevis as the US is there is about a 100% duty on boats and boat parts, and $shipping i$ al$o very expen$ive. So to get her back in the water I need to build as much as I can on-island and import cheap, or preferably used parts. Some used parts I can get in duty-free. Here's what I'm looking at, and some questions. Please forgive me for the obvious questions and my lack of proper terms for some of what I'm looking for - remember I'm a newbie.

The main issue and questions right now are relating to the hardware. Thiefs (tiefs in West Indian speak) have stolen much of the bronze work - thankfully not the stem fitting, but almost everything else. Here's what I'm looking at needing from what I can tell:

5 Spartan 5" C190 cleats @ $25 each - 4 for above the cuddy, and one on the transom deck. Is that right? Anyone have a cheaper source? it looks like e-bay seller boaterbits sells them with shipping for $22.50 each which would save a few bucks. Any reliable used sources out there?

1 Large Cleat (7"? 8"?) fore of the mast. Does anyone know what this part is? Cheap sources?

It appears there are supposed to be 4 swivelling pulleys (don't remember the sailboat code name) - two on either side of the mast, and two on the transom deck. Does anyone know the specification of and/or a cheap source for these?

The spars are intact and seem to be in good shape, although I'm missing the gooseneck. I can get one for about $60 from Dwyer Mast, but that's about $150 by the time it gets to Nevis. Some folks have upgraded their goosenecks from what I gather? Should I be upgrading? Are there originals gathering dust?

And I need the tackle for the boom end. I don't even know what this is supposed to look like. Rigrite.com sells parts for vangs and outhalls for the Typhoon boom, but I can't make sense of it as there are no drawings, and the drawings in the manual are contradictory.
http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/A_spec_cla ... Spars.html
Can anyone help with what I need? Seems that lots of people have upgraded to boom vangs, but this is one area I'm really unclear on what I should be looking at.

I'm also missing the winches, winch stands, coaming cleats and sliders on the Genoa tracks (which are still intact). I've variously seen the winches referred to as Barlow 15's, Gibbs, and Lewmar 6's. So which? Regardless, the winches are very expen$ive. Are these only used when running a Genoa? Will I need one in the West Indies in a Typhoon? We have pretty steady winds. If I need them, any suggestions on where I can get 'em cheap?

It also looks like the tiefs took the coaming cleats and winch stands by tearing them off the side coaming boards, which now needs to be replaced. Anyone have any luck replacing with something other than teak, or have a good cheap teak supplier? I have the woodshop to fashion new ones given the stock.

The outboard motor mount is also missing. Spartan and BristolBronze sell them, but they are about $400 each - about $1000 by the time I get them to Nevis. As a rank amateur sailer, I really want a motor to get me out of trouble. Any cheaper way of getting a motor mounted?

And speaking of outboards, we can still run 2 stroke motors in Nevis. Does anybody have an old 2 - 3.5hp 2 stroke longshaft that still runs well that they can't find a buyer for? A used motor I can definately get in duty free.

The hull is in good shape, with just some gelcoat damage inside the cabin that I can fix myself. The round plate (to give access to under the transom deck?) is gone. Anyone know where I can get one? I've ordered some paint and teak finish from www.signaturefinish.com, as I've had good luck with their honeyteak product for a while. Anyone have any experience with their paints? Will get some anti-fouling paint in St Martin next week.

The rudder is missing, but searching the archives, it seems that making a new one is not that difficult, and Oswego John and I have already made contact, and he's going to send me the template and instructions how to proceed (thanks OJ!!). I should be able to do that myself. Roger from BristolBronze says he can provide to me oversized 3/8" drift pins to make a stronger rudder than original.

All the standing rigging is intact, looks like I need to replace just one stay and one shroud which I can get done in St Martin. I need to replace all the running rigging. I got the specs out of the owners manual, and looks like I can get the bulk lines cheap from ebay seller boaterbits. Any alternatives worth considering?

The sails are also missing, but fellow Daysailer owner Glenn Barnett has very generously offered up his old sails when he replaces his this year. Thanks, Glenn!! I'm thinking about sending them to www.sailcare.com to be cleaned, re-resined and repaired if necessary, as it should be under $150. Anyone have any experience with them?

Whew! I warned you this was going to be long! This webpage and listserve archives has been so amazingly helpful to date - I don't know how we could have done this work before the internet.

Thanks for any help in getting this sad Typhoon back in the water where she belongs!
Chris Thompson
Nevis, West Indies

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it-but sail we must, and not drift, nor lie at anchor
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Lew Gresham

Do This!

Post by Lew Gresham »

Take a picture of the boats deck, and other areas you think are of interest. Upload them with your next message. That way it will help for one to see exactly what you need and where.

This picture show the parts off my boom. There to go back on this week since the boom has just been painted. Maybe seeing this picture will help. I have pictures of my mast parts also.

If your boat has been setting out in the weather for as long as you say, I would imagine you have some wet core. FWIW!

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p52/ ... rts007.jpg[/img]
Weekender
hull #914
Steve Laume

Motor mount

Post by Steve Laume »

Nevis TY, I know where there is an original Handy Boat outboard bracket for sale for under $100.00. The brackets that bolt to the aft deck are not with it. There were two different designs that Cape Dory used. One has round eyes that the bracket slips into. The one at the consignment shop has the rectangular brackets. Check the port side of your aft deck for the brackets. You may be in luck. For cleats and cocks you cannot beat the prices at Jamestown Distributors, In RI. They have a web site and excellent service. I have bought a bunch of bronze stuff from them. I would not sail your TY without winches to snub off the sheets before going to the combing cleats. Others may disagree but I believe there is a serious risk of splitting your combings by sheeting directly to the cleats. If bronze winch stands are a major expense and you can find a source of wood along with having the ability you could build up stands. That is what Cape Dory did on my boat. They are built up teak blocks that fasten to the combing boards and the winches are bolted all the way through the blocks and the deck. This is a much stronger arrangement than the bronze brackets. Not quite as easy as just bolting them on but it might be cheaper an definitely not a compromise on quality. For the winches I would keep an eye on -bay for a while. Small winch pairs come up fairly regularly. As a logger once told me when I asked him about using Quaking Aspen for framing. "Wood is wood". More profound words have never been spoken. Teak is not the only wood for your purposes. You need reasonable rot resistance and hardness. Paint may be a better choice than bright finish in a tropical area. I guess you have to come to terms with weather you will have a show piece or just want to get out sailing. Going for all original wouldn't seem like a priority for this boat. You will love sailing your boat no matter how you put her together, Steve.
NevisTyphoon
Hull # 47

Post by NevisTyphoon »

Thanks, Lew! That's a great picture. I'm pretty sure I have all those mast parts excepting the gooseneck and slider.

I've perused all the pics I can of daysailers, and I'm pretty sure I have my list of missing parts complete (excepting the tackle for the boom). What I need now is cheap sources. I only have one pic of the boat right now (see avatar) and you need to see it at 3 megapixels to tell anything. I'm visiting the states right now but will be back on Fri. Will take some pics then for you.

I've had two sailing friends and one professional inspect and thump the hull all around and declare it fine. Is there another way I can tell for myself?

Thanks and regards,
Chris Thompson
Nevis, West Indies

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it-but sail we must, and not drift, nor lie at anchor
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steve Buckley
Location: Typhoon Weekender, "Anna", #942, Cottage Park Yacht Club, Winthrop, MA

BoaterBits bronze cleats prices are per PAIR

Post by Steve Buckley »

Nevis,

Those prices I posted in Buy/Sell for the bronze cleats from Boaterbits are PER PAIR, in other words, more than half off Spartan Marine. They have all the cleats you'll need. I've ordered from them before and they are great.

Here's their store:

http://stores.ebay.com/Boaterbits_Deck- ... idZ2QQtZkm
NevisTyphoon
Hull # 47

Post by NevisTyphoon »

Thanks, Steve L! The idea of just using a piece of wood for the stand is stellar - if I can't get the bronze stands, that's exactly what I'll do. I agree with you - you wouldn't want to tie off just to the coaming, particularly if it isn't teak which is exceptionally hard and strong. We do get some other exotic woods like crabwood and purpleheart that has much of the same properties as teak, but much cheaper, and I've entertained using them. One of my other fooli$h hoobie$ is british sports cars, and they are all concours condition so it's very hard for me not to try to restore Combolo to as-new condition. It's about respect.

Oh, and I do have the outboard mount, but unfortunately it is of the round variety. Dang. And I'll check out Jamestown.

And thanks, too, Steve B for posting the boaterbits site on the other message a few days ago - it looks like they are a great supplier for lots of discounted parts. And thanks for pointing out that even the 5" cleats are sold as a pair - it didn't say so in ad title like the others. That's a lot cheaper than Spartan. Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Thanks and regards,
Chris Thompson
Nevis, West Indies

Oliver Wendell Holmes
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Have you looked at Marine Consignment of Wickford, RI?

Post by RIKanaka »

They have tons of used stuff, some of which they have posted on online (http://www.marineconsignment.com) and up for auction on ebay (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmarineconQQhtZ-1).
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
NevisTyphoon
Hull # 47

picture

Post by NevisTyphoon »

Hi Lew - here's a picture at 512 pixels across - I tried posting the high resolution picture earlier in the day, but it never posted. Perhaps there's a limit.

Best Regards,
Chris Thompson
Nevis, West Indies

Oliver Wendell Holmes
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: picture

Post by Neil Gordon »

NevisTyphoon wrote:Hi Lew - here's a picture ...
We have a rule here, you know... in exchange for advice we're expecting progress pics as the restoration moves forward. Most important is the last pic of you heeled over, sailing a classic little boat with a big smile on your face. Don't let us down.

Good luck with the work!!!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
JWEells
Location: The Typhoon "Valaskjalf" (#1842), in Lake Arrowhead, California.

Larceny would be better

Post by JWEells »

Register the hull, get whatever documents are needed. Send me a matching set of numbers to your boat. Meet me in the Atlantic in international waters. I will trade you my completely restored Typhoon and you will give me yours. And then you will sail home. I'll probably get home alive. That's my problem.

People will notice when you arrive home. You will explain that while you were in the Atlantic, all of the old pre-Christian Gods of the Carib visited you. They restored your boat, and appointed you prophet of the Carib Heathen Restoration. Your newly restored boat is your first sign as Chief Prophet that you are following the will of the gods. How else could anybody explain it, you will say disingenuously.

You will become wealthy beyond your wildest dreams - and without guilt - because the old gods believe in health and propserity now and in the hereafter. With your new found wealth you can buy me another Typhoon.
Cuique Sententia Mea
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

No winches

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Here's a shot of the jibsheets tied off directly to the coaming cleats. I sailed this way for a number of years with no problem[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... d352b8.jpg[/img]
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Outhaul

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

This is how I rigged the outhaul. That small block (pulley) is tied to the boom end fitting with fine line.[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... d35299.jpg[/img]
NevisTyphoon
Hull # 47

Re:Pics

Post by NevisTyphoon »

Thanks for the pics, Mike! I got several PM's from people saying they don't use the winches except when running a genoa or spinnaker, so I'm going to put that on the back burner until a great deal comes up on the proper stand and winch.

And thanks for the close-up of the outhaul - that and Lew's pics of his boom parts and I'm starting to understand how all this goes together (remember I'm a newbie).

Thanks and regards,
Chris Thompson
Nevis, West Indies

Oliver Wendell Holmes
GPWINSTON

Replacement for Typhoon's Round "PYHI" inspection

Post by GPWINSTON »

I was recently able to order an exact replacement for the inspection port cover through West Marine. They get it through Bowmar. I can't remember the exact part number, but if you measure the opening on your boat and check the Bowmar website, you should be able to tell West Marine exactly what you need. I remember it to be around $15 and an exact duplicate of the missing one. - Parker
Russell

Post by Russell »

I just saw this thread for the first time. I am probably stopping in Nevis this season on my CD36, I would love to check out your typhoon while I am there. Last year I stopped in St Kitts but not Nevis, and from reports from friends I feel I certainly made the wrong decision, this year I will instead stop in Nevis and not St Kitts.

Its a shame all the bronze was stripped from the boat, certainly expensive to replace, but its very fortunate that spartan is still in buisness and these items are thus attainable.

I am sending you a PM, reguarding import duties.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)