Puget Sound Rendezvous?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Michael Ellis

Puget Sound Rendezvous?

Post by Michael Ellis »

Are there any Puget Sound Cape Dory owners interested in participating in a Rendezvous this summer? If so, let me know with proposed time and location. I can let everyone know who is interested and facilitate coming to a consensus on time and place.

Mike Ellis
Ben Thomas

Puget sound CDers

Post by Ben Thomas »

Dependent upon time and place, I will certainly time my trip up north to coincide with joining in. Looking now for sometime in August. Ben
Michael Ellis

Bring your Minto!!

Post by Michael Ellis »

Nice to hear from you Ben. I didn't know you brought your CD from Portland to Puget Sound. If you come bring your Minto and we can do some Minto racing.

Mike
Bob Maguire
Anacortes, WA

Rendezvous

Post by Bob Maguire »

Mike,

Sometime in August would probably be best for me. Perhaps Sucia?

Bob Maguire
Michael Ellis

Rendezvous

Post by Michael Ellis »

I was kind of thinking I would like to be in the San Juans in August, and I have not yet been to Sucia. Does anyone know how crowded Sucia is in August?

I also have to think through the fact I have two daughters that have birthdays in August. Both are married now so we now longer have primary responsibility in that arena, but it is something I will have to consider.

Mike
Tom Keevil

Rendevous

Post by Tom Keevil »

We plan to sail up from Oregon in May or June, and spend most of the summer up there. If we're not too far north, we'd be interested in meeting up.

Is Sucia Island crowded in August? Is the Pope Catholic? Of course it's crowded for a good reason - it's beautiful, and a great place to explore. You also get some good wind out there.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Michael Ellis

Rendezvous

Post by Michael Ellis »

Tom, if you make it into Puget Sound before heading north make sure to let me know. There is nothing to say there can't be more than one rendezvous. It only takes two CD's to make a gathering.

Mike
Rperlot

Keep me posted.

Post by Rperlot »

I'm putting my beloved on the market, but may still have her around at the time of choosing. I'm moored in Kingston.

I have a buddy with a CD330 on Bainbridge Island. I might be able to talk him into going, even if I don't, or maybe with him, sans my boat.

Rperlot
CD28
Michael Ellis

Rendezvous

Post by Michael Ellis »

I received a response from a local CD owner via email suggesting Stuart Island. "Sucia is OK, but my favorite is Stuart Island State Park. Less crowded and better holding/ more protected at anchor. The park is very nice and you can anchor anywhere in Reid Harbor, so we could raft with lots of room if we wanted to go that way. Also, close to Roche Harbor, a nice place for the ladies and to stop."

So we have two recommendations at this time. Sucia and Stuart Island. Both in the San Juans. Of course there is no reason we couldn't include both and make a cruise out of it. Some might even make it into a fast cruise (race).

Mike
Mike
Location: Adagio is an Outbound 44 cruising in the Eastern Caribbean

Leo, are you watching....

Post by Mike »

....I smell FLEET FORMATION :idea:
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
http://www.sv-adagio.org
Bob Maguire
Anacortes, WA

Rendezvous

Post by Bob Maguire »

Mike,

I'm pretty open to the time and place in August. Stuart sounds just fine to me; perhaps better since Stuart would be a new destination for me. Also, continuing on to Sucia certainly is a viable option.
Perhaps you might select a date in August that is best for you and we'll adjust our schedules accordingly.

Bob Maguire (This has been sent as a pm as well)
Ben Thomas

August

Post by Ben Thomas »

Second week of August would work for me, it gives me a liitle more time to arrive.. 1.5-2 days ETA to Neah Bay from Astoria, 2-3 days to Stuart. Might work. Will watch postings and P.M.
Wow pretty exciting! Ben
Michael Ellis

Rendezvous

Post by Michael Ellis »

So far I have heard from seven possible to probable participants. As word gets out we could get more. I am waiting to hear from a couple of CD owners off-line regarding specific dates of availability before making a proposed itinerary. It would be fun to sail/cruise together while we pass my video camera around. We participated in a Kent Ranger Sailing Association cruise a couple of years ago and used the video captured during the cruise to make a DVD. It is nice to watch when it is cold and wet outside.
Bob Maguire
Anacortes, WA

Rendezvous

Post by Bob Maguire »

Mike,

Thanks for staying on top of this.

Would be nice to get some Bellingham CD owners involved.
Possibly John Vigor might be a good start. His e-mail is on the Boat Registry.

Bob Maguire
Michael Ellis

Rendezvous - proposed itinerary

Post by Michael Ellis »

After collecting input from interested area CD owners this is the proposed itinerary.

Stuart Island - Arrive Saturday 4 August. Anchor/raft in Reid Harbor. Stay through Sunday to accommodate late arrivals. Sail Monday for Sucia Island.

Sucia Island - Arrive Monday 6 August and anchor/raft in Shallow Bay. For those that want to continue together as a group and do some socializing tied to a dock, they would depart Tuesday for Roche Harbor.

Roche Harbor - Arrive Tuesday 7 August (this will require reservations) and plan to spend one night (or more since this is the end of the planned itinerary).

Ben Thomas indicated second of week of August would work for him. Since August starts mid-week I wasn't sure which was the second week. If I guessed wrong, this whole intinerary could be shifted one week, so the dates would be August 11-15. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Mike