Gimballed Cook top CD 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

GilB
Location: Previously owned a CD 22, Alberg 29, Pearson 424, tartan 30, Yamaha 25

Gimballed Cook top CD 28

Post by GilB »

Has anyone installed a gilballed cook top in tehir Cape Dory 28?
Offshore there is no way to cook a meal on the cook top that is standard on the Cape Dories. I am considering the purchase of a CD 28 to do the Jester Challenge 2008 - sailing from Plymouth, England to the Azores. The event calls for a boat under 30 Ft to be single handed as in the spirit of Blondoe Hassler and "Jester" in the first OSTAR trans Atlantic.
Has anyone put in a giblalled stove, stove +oven or stove+broiler?
Regards,
Gil Burns
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

I did and really enjoyed it. I installed the 2 burner Origo gimballed stove. It's great, safe, but like all boat stuff, expensive. The gimbals and pot holders add a lot to the cost, but are worth it for offshore cooking.

Bill
GeorgeV

Post by GeorgeV »

For the single hander nothing beats a single burner gimbled stove especially if you have limited room on board. Burns hot and the fuel is inexpensive and available most everywhere.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 4&id=61006
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/
GilB
Location: Previously owned a CD 22, Alberg 29, Pearson 424, tartan 30, Yamaha 25

Has anyone installed a gilballed cook top in tehir Cape Dory

Post by GilB »

Gregory, I agree that the Mini Galley is a excellent choice for cooking in rough weather. I know a lot of people use them but are the propane bottle safe? Does an standards type of organization approve of products like this?

Bill, is your gimballed Origo in the same cut out or did you have to make changes to the cabinet? How was the depth also? I would love to see a picture if yoiu have one.

I think my ideal solution could be a Kerosene 2 burner (one smaller, one larger) stove with a broiler, These are hard to find. I found one in England for 999 pounds!!! With Kerosene you dont have the problens of propane on board. I had one before and never had a ploblm. In additiion carry a Mini galley.

Any thoughts on that?

Gil
Regards,
Gil Burns
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Seaway stove

Post by Neil Gordon »

GeorgeV wrote:For the single hander nothing beats a single burner gimbled stove especially if you have limited room on board. Burns hot and the fuel is inexpensive and available most everywhere.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 4&id=61006
I have an older equivalent on LIQUIDITY and use it often. Mine has a percolator and a one quart pot, both aluminum. The pot works well for soup, stew, pasta, etc. My only complaint is I never know when the canister is about to run out.

By the way, I replaced the original pressure alcohol stove with the non-gimbled Origo... it fit in the space but I had to make a larger cutout for the drop in.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Gil,

Suggest you look at this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=43343

You could put it in a gimbaled box and make your own pot holders.
For $60 its hard to beat. I wish I got one of them instead of spending too much on an old, used Shipmate stove/oven.

I changed my interior extensively so did not have a space problem. I think the above cook top would work very well and it has a small grill/warming tray.

Take care and good luck on your proposed passage,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Gil,

I had to build a frame to hold the gimbal. It was not difficult. Mine was a 1976 CD 28 (the model with the sink on the starboard side). There was a large storage/stove space on the port side. The space was too large for the stove to fit exactly so I cut 1x1 lengths of wood to make a frame for the forward side of the space. I did not need to alter anything for the aft gimbal. The cover still fit so the stove space was my chart table when I was not cooking. I left the pictures in my other computer. I will have access next week and will try to remember to post them.

When my CD sank in the 2004 hurricanes I was able to save the stove which had spent several weeks under water. I now use it on my current boat, a Morgan 34 (the boat will have to do until I can get a CD 31 or 33).

Bill