somewhat urgent: what is the standard length for CD25 ropes

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

somewhat urgent: what is the standard length for CD25 ropes

Post by henry hey »

Hello everyone.

West Marine is having a 4 day sale on rope that is pretty good.

I need to replace several of my lines as I will be changing the configuration of my halyards and such so that I may have all the lines running back to the cockpit.

Anyway. . I was wondering if anybody has an idea about the standard lengths (and diameters for that matter) of various lines on the cape dory 25.

Thanks much.

-henry
marilou

Lines

Post by marilou »

Go to the info/spec section at the main page of the board. Look for manual on the CD25 page. I believe the specifications are around page 95 of the manual.

You will need approx;
150' of 3/8" for Halyards/you may want to make them longer
120' of 7/16" for sheets (main and jib) Add more for Genoa.

I use 7/16" for both my Halyards and Sheets. (Cape Dory 270)
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Line lengths

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Henry:
If click on the "About Cape Dorys" section of this website, you'll be able to download an owner's manual, which will give you all the line lengths and diameters for both your running and standing rigging; along with much other usful information.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
CD -28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Henry,

Scroll up to the top of this page and click on the either the CDSOA logo or the CDSOA link. That'll get you to our home page at www.capedory.org.

There's a menu on the left side of the page. Use the menus to navigate our web site. The menu is available for all of our web pages except for our message board and our online store.

For the CD manuals, select "Where to Look", then "Groups & Publications", then "Online Manuals & Brochures" and finally "CD Owners Manuals". Then select the appropriate manual from the list. It's a PDF file and very large, so unless you've got a fast internet connection, it'll take a long time to open. Once it's open, print it and/or save a copy to your hard drive for future reference.

Or, CLICK HERE to open the manual for the CD25 (PDF 2MB).

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
Doug Fallin

Make your lines long

Post by Doug Fallin »

I like to make my halyards longer than specs. This way, after a year of chafe on the sheaves, I can resplice the eye a few inches back. This will extend the life of the lines and you won't have to replace them as often.
Mitch F
CD30K, Mere Point, Maine

Post by Mitch F »

I've always felt strongly that halyards should be long enough to reach the water in an emergency - you never know when you might need to winch 200 pounds of dead weight out of the drink.
marilou

Longer Lines

Post by marilou »

If you want to keep your halyard lines from banging the mast, make them long enough to reach to the stern/bow. Before you make up your lines, evaluate your present lines. If you find a "buy" on line (rope) buy continuous lengths, and splice, whip, and cut later.