Miami Sailing Weather

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Miami Sailing Weather

Post by Zeida »

Thursday, Feb. 8... sunny, blue skies, 76 degrees, calm...
:D
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Living in Miami, and listening and reading about the conditions up north, I must admit that I thought about posting Miami weather conditions. After careful thought and reflection, I concluded it would too cruel to board members residing in the the dark, cold, snow laden north. I just did not have the heart to do so. I also envisioned being keel-hauled or worse should we ever meet. :(

I remain in awe of Zeida's courage in doing so. Zeida having "broken the ice" as it were (or dug a snow path?), I would only offer the following:

Air temperature on Biscayne Bay is actually 80 degrees at 1200 hrs today. There was a gentle breeze (5-6 knots) from the north which may fill in to 7-8 knots by later this afternoon. Very few clouds, but enough to make a picture perfect Chamber of Commerce day for South Florida. :D

These conditions are expected to remain in South Florida through the weekend, although the wind may increase to 8-10 knots by Saturday - just in time for our weekly Saturday regatta (Harbor 20s).

Now if I could only find my Cape Dory dreamboat. :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Carl Thunberg

No Worries

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Some of us LIKE the dark, cold North. Only some of us are fortunate enough to be snow-laden though. Not much snow here in New Hampshire, but there's always hope. :wink: Winter makes us truly appreciate summer when it comes around.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
s-dupuis

ouch

Post by s-dupuis »

You realize, posts like this are like rubbing salt (the rock variety that they put on our roads) in our wounds! Where is the compassion? :)

On the other hand, I'm going ice fishing this weekend (hold the jokes about drowning after cooking a 50 lb. block) an enjoyable past time that is not possible in Miami. We get outside and enjoy whatever the weather. No bob house either. Those are for weenies.

Steve
Keith Wood

Post by Keith Wood »

It's a trade-off. Come July those in Miami will be seeking shelter from the heat, while those in Maine will be enjoying lobster and great sailing. And the more fortunate will enjoy sailing both.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Keith:

You are certainly right about July in Miami (also June and August :!: :!: )

I sent you a private message (PM) about some photographs. If you can, I would be very grateful.

Fair Winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

7-8kt winds!?!?!

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Almost not worth taking a CD out that.
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Mark:

Because I do not yet own a CD, and I have very limited experience with most sailboats, I do not disagree with you that 7-8 kts are mild conditions. Almost all of my present sailing is done on Harbor 20s in Biscayne Bay. Harbor 20s are good in light winds and actually anything up to about 20 kts(with a reef in :!: ).

From my reading of board comments over the past many months, it is my limited understanding that CDs are generally good in light winds, even with their modified full keels.

What is your experience:?:

When I get my CD (whether a Ty Weekender, CD 22 or CD 25D), almost all of my sailing will be in Biscayne Bay for the first 1-2 years. It is my experience (Zeida has much more experience than I) that wind conditions are generally 5-8 kts East (sometimes up to 10-12) in the summer months and 10-12 kts East (sometimes up to 15-18) or clocking from NW to E in the winter months. Are these conditions too "mild" for a CD :?:

Fair Winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Post subject: Miami Sailing Weather

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ZEIDA WROTE]
Thursday, Feb. 8... sunny, blue skies, 76 degrees, calm...

Hmmm.
Ideal Super Bowl weather. :D
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Sea Hunt, CD's are heavier, cruising boats,

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

that are generally happier being out in a bit of wind. They WILL move in the light winds, but do not respond to the puffs like a current fin keeled boat, that has been engineered to have excess material (weight and expense) removed.

Yes, I know there will be those, who will make the raspberry sounds at me for that comment, but I bet those who do, are the same ones who say that CD's back up just like a fin keel boats. This is just the design of the boats, but this design will not surpise you, even if something else (the weather) does. No white knuckling or pucker factor, unless the boat is totally neglected or something totally stupid is done.
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Mark... while in agreement that our CD's do enjoy a bit of wind, in the 15 - 18 knots category, I can vouch that my CD-33, with her main and full genoa up still moves so very peacefully in 10 k of winds during the July August months on Biscayne Bay, where I often take her out to anchor out and go swimming and bar-b-q-ing. During those days, I have a small Honda 2001 generator that powers my Cruisair A/C, and keeps the cabin nice and cool.

Of course, with 15 k of wind, my 33 can keep up with a bunch of other cruisers, full keelers or not! I absolutely love her. But she will NOT, I repeat, NOT steer in reverse :roll:
Cheers
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

Miami Sailing Weather

Post by Peter Kozup »

Sorry Zeida, but I'll take the snow anytime over the hassles you guys have been having with weather. While we can't sail all year, we don't have hurricanes blowing our boats all over the lakes, and we can still buy boat insurance! Besides, it's tough to snow ski in Miami, and skiing makes the winter come alive for me. I'll take the weather where I am anytime.
Let's hope we don't read about anymore tough storm seasons in the south, at least for the coming year.
Fair Winds
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Hey, Peter in Ohio... where do you sail? It seems we tend to forget about the hurricane season as soon as it's over :oops:
those things are really terrifying and a challenge to get the boats prepared to deal with them. At least, we get some type of warning, unlike those poor people in Central Florida who got devastated by those tornadoes. Now THAT would really scare me. Although I lived for 20 years in NYC and sailed my first CD-25 for years in the Long Island Sound, am very familiar with snow, sludge, frostbiting cold, et al, I would not give up sailing down here in beautiful Biscayne Bay, with all the little cays and anchorages and places to explore. Besides, my CD33 loves it here :D
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: 7-8kt winds!?!?!

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mark Yashinsky wrote:Almost not worth taking a CD out that.
Note from personal experience: You do not need wind to take a nap in a Cape Dory 28.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698