Mainsheet Traveller - CD 22

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

s-dupuis

Mainsheet Traveller - CD 22

Post by s-dupuis »

Hi All! Looking for suggestions to solve a problem on my CD 22, Setting Star.

The Mainsheet traveller track is a 3/4" genoa track. The traveller 'car' is a stainless steel bracket with a double block for the mainsheet, that slides on the track.
I have modified the bracket to include two blocks for control lines leading port & starboard through turning blocks in the coaming and are cleated. The lines allow for better control over the main while singlehanded and work great except for one issue. The ss bracket will not slide when under a load because it does not have bearings as a proper mainsheet car has.
Does anyone know if a traveller car is available for a 3/4" track?
Is the only solution to replace the car and the track to the 1" variety?

Steve
s/v Setting Star
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Pictures

Post by Warren S »

Steve,

Any chance you have a photo or 2?

I've thought of doing that mod on our 270 which does have a roller car, but is too difficult to release the locking cars while under load.

Thanks...
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Steve,

I think if you've got your system set up so that you have a 3:1 or 4:1 purchase, it should work -- 4:1 would be best.

This means that you'll need 4 double blocks (1 for each side of the car, and 1 for each side of the boat). 2 of them will have to have beckets. The double blocks with beckets would be attached to the port and starboard sides of the track so that they cannot move. Attach the line to the becket then take the line to the block on the car and back to the becket block, back to the car, back to the becket block to a cleat -- usually a cam cleat. Do the same for the other side. This is a typical traveller setup with a 4:1 purchase.

I don't know what the traveller track looks like on a CD22 but if it's standard genoa track, that may not work with a traveller car. Traveller cars have wheels that run on the sides of the track kinda like a monorail. So traveller track is usually tall. If you've got actual traveller track, depending on the manufacturer (each of the different manufactures use very different track shapes) you may be able to get a car to fit 3/4" track. Both the Nicro-Fico X-Track and I-Beam track come in 3/4" widths so there has to be a car that fits on them. But who's the manufacturer of your track? Kenyon also has 3/4" traveller track.

CLICK HERE to compare different traveller track systems. Hopefully you'll see one that looks like yours if you're not sure of the manufacturer for your track.

For what it's worth, our CD32 has a Nicro-Fico I-Beam (1 1/4")traveller system.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
s-dupuis

Traveller track

Post by s-dupuis »

Thanks Cathy!

The link to the various traveller configurations is perfect. I will need to scrutinize the profile of my current track. Hopefully I will only need to procure a car with control blocks from one of the venders in your link..
My current set up is a simple 2:1 purchase via the turning block on the coaming and the control block on the car. This is working okay but you are correct that a3:1 would be better and a 4:1 would be ideal. I'll post pics of the current configuration for you and Warren and eventually the new configuration when done.

Thanks again.

Steve
s/v Setting Star
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Mainsheet traveller

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Steve:
I think you'll be disappointed if you spend a lot on money on blocks, etc. for a traveller and don't change out the track. I put a Harken traveller system on my CD-28. The main reason I choose Harken was that the mounting holes on the new track have the same spacing as the holes on the old track. This made mounting the new system pretty straightforward. I didn't need to have the new track prebent, by the way. I started with the center bolt and worked my way out to each end. The track followed the slight curve of the deck easily.
I can send you photos if you're interested.
Regards,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
s-dupuis

Traveller track

Post by s-dupuis »

Thanks Tony.

I've pretty much come to the same conclusion. Although there are 3/4" traveller cars available, as Cathy's link shows, they will not work on the genoa track, that my CD 22 appears to have, due to the low profile. A new track will be needed.
Can you determine what the hole spacing is on your Harken track?
It would be great if I didn't have to drill new holes either. Drilling through the deck requires drilling an oversized hole, filling it with resin and finally drilling a hole for the bolt in the center of the filled hole (not to mention filling the existing holes).
Did you install an elevated track or the regular height track? I suspect that the taller version would be stiffer and more likely to resist bending over that slight curve in the deck. I am concerned about damaging the deck
I have been leaning towards Harken equipment but have yet to determine what the hole spacing is on their tracks.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
s/v Setting Star
Efrost
Virginia Beach, VA

Post by Efrost »

I also have a relatively new to me, about 1 year, CD 22. I have been looking at the same problem (challenge?). I talked with "Guido" at Gaurhaurer (sp?) and for a very reasonable price they will send me a traveler system, holes drilled to match my present track (spacing and size) and curved to my specs. As I said the price quoted was very reasonable (cheaper than any of the name brands) I recommend you call him.
Ed
s-dupuis

Thanks Ed

Post by s-dupuis »

I sent them a message asking for a quote. I only require the track with end stops and a car with single control blocks.

I too have only owned my CD 22 for about 10 months. What a great boat! I'm curious about where you found yours (it may have been one I had previously considered).

Thanks again.
Ron Brassord

Cd22 Traveler track

Post by Ron Brassord »

In the renovation of our CD 22 I replaced the 4' main traveler with a new one inch T track, and used a new genoa car for a travelor car. The parts were easily obtainable and cost about $75. I also did the same on the CD 25 we restored. It works fine and looks good. The car has plastic inserts that help it to slide, but it will not move under heavy load. I have not found this a problem. The track has holes spaced on 4" that line up with the old holes. On the Cd 22 I fitted a teak spacer under the track so that it would be straight and not curved to the deck. That helps movement.
This week I bought new genoa cars from Garhauer and 24" X 1" T tracks for the rails, and am in the process of the installation. I would have liked to make the tracks longer, but the curve of the toe rail would require a bent track. No way.
The old 3/4 or 7/8 tracks make it difficult to find suitable replacement blocks to fit. New 1" T tracks are so much stronger and really spruce up the looks, and the costs are similiar to special hardware.
Every new upgrade on these sweet old boats make them that much more fun to sail.
Good sailing Ron B
bottomscraper

Garhauer

Post by bottomscraper »

When we were looking at upgrading the traveler on Mahalo we first looked at getting a new car and ends from RigRite. It turned out that the entire new system from Garhauer was less expensive! I sent Garhauer a full size drawing showing where the mounting holes needed to be and the shape of the curve (may not need curved on a 22). It took a few weeks but we are very happy with the results. The Garhauer prices have gone up a bit but I suspect it is still a better value. My guess is the MT-3 would be fine for a 22. Harken makes some nice travelers also but they are significantly more expensive. Check out the links below:

Garhauer

A link to old posts on this subject.

Rigging Only (Harken Travellers)
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Garhauer

Post by SeaBelle »

They are great in product, price, and service.

I was surprised and pleased to recieve my traveller from them. I was amazed to find it so beefy and with such a fine finishl The one mistacke i made was not to talk to Guido in person, I did it comletely on line. I'didn'k know they would do such custom work at no additional charge. Also I should have availed myself of Guido's expertise. I've heard such good things about him.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi ever one.

well ever one has said it all.

my cd22 and the typhoon are set up the same.

cd22 is a small boat.

its real easy to go over board on our boats.
winthrop
s-dupuis

Garhauer It Is!

Post by s-dupuis »

I've decided to go with the MT-3 system and remove the turning blocks and cleats I put on the coaming last year.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.

Steve