Language problem

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Vigor

Language problem

Post by John Vigor »

A friend who sails a Pacific Seacraft 31 sought my help recently because he’d heard there were some pretty fine linguists among Cape Dory owners. He was anchored out on Sucia Island, northern Puget Sound, and brought up what he thinks is a piece of antiquity with his anchor. It appears to be an ancient amphora. This is an area that was explored by the Spanish in the 18th century--in fact, the word Sucia is Spanish for “foul,” or “dirty” a reference to what they thought was a poor anchorage.

The top edge of the amphora is crumbling, and only part of the inscription survives:

LO** CKTH* *EPRO** *PFOR *L* ESSD** RA* G**

The asterisks represent places where there seem to be missing letters.

It’s not much to go on, but can anbody guess what language that is? Spanish? Greek? A Middle Eastern tongue? Old Latin, perhaps? A famous saying by Horace or Cicero or Pliny the Elder? Some piece of eternal wisdom well known to this board?

I’d be grateful for any help.

Cheers,

John V.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Hmmmmm

Post by Oswego John »

Yesterday I wrote that I'm out of here (Till next time).

It's a cinch to see that 10,000 hits are well within reach. Shall I fan the flames of wanton desire?

No, I refuse to succumb to temptation. (Be strong, man. Be very strong). I must get a very firm grip on myself. Oh someone, help me make it through the night.

O J
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Its a new language

Post by darmoose »

John,

i recognize this language. i was watching cartoons with my grandson this past Saturday, and one of the characters who came from a place they called Fantasy World, was speaking this very language.

It is called " Vigorish"; it basically is whatever the one who is speaking wants to make up. Very hard to follow, because none of the words have any real meaning. They seem to change with the wind.

The other thing about these characters who were speaking this language, was they never listen to anybody else, they just kept repeating this jibberish.

I wouldnt waste any time worrying about it or trying to decipher the jars inscription. I am sure its useless.

Glad to be of help :wink:
Your Pal
darrell
Dean Abramson

Curious

Post by Dean Abramson »

It's very difficult to ascertain what language that might be. It's probably the mad scribblings of an ancient mariner. You could spend a lot of time trying to decipher something like that, only to find that, rather than stating something profound, it is in fact inaccurate or just plain wrong.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Lew Gresham

Post by Lew Gresham »

Remember the movie "Airplane". Barbara Billingsley who played Beaver's Mom on the "Leave it to Beaver" TV show. She spoke this language in the movie.
Weekender
hull #914
Loren
Chaumont, NY

can't help myself

Post by Loren »

I predict JV is just sitting back enjoying the action. (like pooring gas on a fire)

Just to put him at piece I just saw a news release on CNN that the missing peice was found in Lower Slabovia by the NSA . The artifact is a small piece an ancient amphora with the letters "DON"T" clearly inscribed. I think I might know where it goes.

Remember don't discuss religion, politics or propoligy!

Loren
Nigel Noble

Winter

Post by Nigel Noble »

You can tell its winter and the boats and their owners are on land.
Nigel Noble
1976 CD 25 #419 s/v JANE
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

" Vigorish"

Post by SeaBelle »

is what the (loan) sharks and now the credit card companies charge for the use of their money - the vig. I believe it is derived from the name of 'a friend of ours', a connected guy named John.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
bill2

serious ?

Post by bill2 »

John

In light of all the serious responses you've received thus far I hate to spoil the record but what little I may add would be the following:

" Such a big ocean - such a DanG small boat . "

Of course that's not locked in stone . . . :wink:

Sorry I couldn't help more :(
darmoose
Mystic Rose

This is a great day!!

Post by darmoose »

Hello cape dorians...

took Mystic Rose out into the atlantic today, just me and the admiral. seas were 2-4 ft., winds were 15 to 20 kts out of the east. sailed for about three hours along the east coast of florida. what a great sail, eat your hearts out you yankees.

tell me, is this great fun. actually, by way of exlanation, i am in to a couple of very nice scotches ( Dewers 12 year). what i want to say is that this is very much fun. i dont really care if we decide the query of our times or not. i appreciate J.V.s wit and humor, and i like nothing better than to pull his chain ( i think he likes pulling on our chains also).

i cant help but notice tho, dear John, that it seems that several capable sailers are helping to pull that chain. you must be feeling the "tug"

schmeers
darrell :D
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Language problem

Post by Neil Gordon »

John Vigor wrote: LO** CKTH* *EPRO** *PFOR *L* ESSD** RA* G**
I did a quick Google search on "International Amphora Museum and Barbershop" and found that partial lettering on items recovered from the sea bed is fairly common. Seems that the males of certain sea critters prefer certain letters while the females nibble the others. Interestingly, the following is notable from their collection:

**LE ****T T****HE P**** R*O ****PS **P *IN
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

historty 101

Post by winthrop fisher »

hey john, so hows ever thing going :?:

well i read allot of "europe history and old world history".
its fun.

well ever thing i have read that the on the west coast of canada and the america and down was from russia and china and japan.
where in time they became indians all over the north american and canada.

centurys later on the east side of canada and the america was the irish, scotish and french for three or four centuries later
then the spanish and english came here and thats when things started to change ever thing.

so you see it could have been any country that came here from europe, thats how i see the writing you showed from europe..

just my two cents.
winthrop