Mooring Whips

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom W

Mooring Whips

Post by Tom W »

Has anyone with a Typhoon or similar sized sailboat had any experience using mooring whips to secure your boat adjacent to a floating dock. Are they practical for sailboats? Can they be used in moderately rough water? Any help would be appreciated.
Tom
ramanning
"Second Wind", Cheboygan, MI.

Mooring Whips

Post by ramanning »

Tom,
I use mooring whips and I think they work great on my Typhoon Weekender. I moor the boat off my dock which is on a busy river and there is a lot of wake action from passing boat traffic. The also work great holding the boat in proper position when the wind and storms hit.
Bob
R. A. Manning
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Post by darmoose »

tom, i have a cd30k at my dock and on mooring whips. they work graet and keep the dockside of the boat from getting scraped up. of course you still need spring lines and bow and stern lines

darrell
s/v mystic rose
Tom W

Mooring whips

Post by Tom W »

Bob,

Thanks for the reply.It sounds like you have the same situation I have. What are the ratings(length/weight)on the whips you are using? I assume you are using some type of spring lines to control the forward and aft motion. What size lines are you using? Did you have to add cleats to the boat for the whip lines or spring lines? If so,where did you place them? Do the bases of the whips(on the dock) have to be pretty much on the same level as the toe rail or winches or can they be above or below and still be effective? Do you have pictures you could post?

Tom W
Tom W

Post by Tom W »

Darrell,

Do you have pictures you could post showing the various lines and where they are attached? Thanks for the reply.

Tom W.
timkeys

mooring whips

Post by timkeys »

I just started using mooring whips on a typhoon. So far they seem to work quite well. I have spring lines and breast lines. I think you do need to keep an eye on the boat till you have things adjusted and start trusting it.