No engine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Julian

No engine

Post by Julian »

Question;

Does anyone sail their CD30C without an engine or with an outboard?

Julian :)
Ben Thomas

no engine

Post by Ben Thomas »

I once sailed into the West basin marina at Astoria, Or. at the mouth of the Columbia River with my CD30. Not by choice, as the entrance is narrow and contrary to tidal current, river current and wind waves. The Adrenalin lasted for awhile. Onlookers were impressed, crew members were doubtful. But it can be done, timing is everything and knowledge of existing waters helps tremendously. I repowered shortly after that experience.
A french canadian fellow sailed his Alberg 30 around the world without an engine.
http://www.capehorn.com/sections/30%20ans/30ansAng.htm

Hopefully this link will lead you to his story.
Steve Laume

Why?

Post by Steve Laume »

I am wondering why you would want to do away with your engine. Space, weight, the purity of a strictly sailing vessel? Too many Parady books? I would love to have all that space available for stowage but would not give up the engine to get it. I like the reliability, fuel economy and safety of the diesel engine. With an upgraded charging system and extra batteries it is a pretty nice set up. If you used very little or no electrical power and where doing long passages I can see where an outboard might work. Then again I have no experience with that type of sailing. For coastal cruising, with short passages it would be a real pain to deal with and outboard. It would also add a great deal of weight to the stern where you do not want it. If you are looking at a boat without a functioning engine I would make an offer that at least partially covered the installation of a new one or rebuilding the existing engine. What to do about the prop while you are sailing is a whole other problem, Steve.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Julian,

I would be surprised if there are many, if any, Cape Dory's out there sans motors in the 30+ category for the reason that most CD sailors are likely coastal cruisers who deal with marinas and time schedules. There are a few out there doing long passages and long term cruising though. Resale value without a motor would play a part in it too. But I think CD's are held onto by their owners more than most older sailboats. Femme du Nord was 20 years old when we bought her and we were only her third owners.

I have often wondered how our 33 would balance without the motor. I sail the boat much more than motor and even sail off the mooring and up silly inner harbours where I probably shouldn't , but with that I can usually pick my time and wind. One season, the first with a solar panel and new battery set up, I reckon I fired up the motor only a half-dozen times. Needless to say, I have not heard of any of the larger CD's with it's diesel taken out. Now one with a diesel the owner would WISH to take out....

Paul
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Paul D. wrote:I have often wondered how our 33 would balance without the motor.
Just fine if you replace the weight with about an equal amount of stores. Otherwise, you might be down at the bow a bit.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Julian

Sorry and Thanks

Post by Julian »

Hi, firstly thanks for all the replies and second sorry I posted that and disappeared off to Belize for a while.
Yes engineless for space and for simplicity. Every boat I've been on, looked at or spoken to owners spend way too much time with the motor and associated equipment. With an outboard that I can store easily and take onshore to fix or on the berth for that matter or throw in the bottom of the sea I'll be much happier!
I'll post some more specific replies over the next day or two.

Julian