Annual what did the boat get for Christmas question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Steve Laume

Annual what did the boat get for Christmas question

Post by Steve Laume »

So far no one has told what their boats got for Christmas. Raven did not do too well this year. She did just fine by me all last year though. I picked up a spinnaker sock and some fender covers on ebay just before the holiday. those weren't really Christmas presents. Raven is making her list and checking it twice for the spring warehouse sales. We know John got a helicopter and can't stop thinking it might be some kind of power boat that flys. So what did all the other good little Cape Dorys get for Christrmas this year? I hope you have all been nice or just naughty enough that Santa was real good to you, Steve.
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Lilypad got a new radio

Post by John D. »

A handheld VHF - the Standard Horizon HX600S.

My old one is installed below with no remote microphone capability, so this allows VHF in the cockpit, which is a big improvement. Plus it has DSC that hooks up to GPS, for semi-automated distress signals with position included.

A more everyday feature, it has a built-in AM/FM receiver, so I can listen to the news.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

What Was Under The Tree

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Steve and all,

Well, I received two things that I wanted, but they are not exclusively for the boat. I can use them where and when I please.

They are two CDs. One is by my favorite artist, Andre Rieu. The other is by Trans Siberian Railway.

Happy and healthy New Year to all.
O J
RonE58

AC cord/antenna for a Garmin chartplotter & books

Post by RonE58 »

Every one had a laugh when I put Christmas labels on gifts that stated they were 'To Windrush, from Santa.'
I got the AC cord and short antenna so I could spend some time familiarizing myself with my Garmin chart plotter, I purchased this past fall.
I also picked up a half a dozen books on cruising and sailboat maintenance.
Ron
tartansailor

New Rudder Pic

Post by tartansailor »

I want to post pics of my old twisted rudder and its new replacement, but my USB ports are disabled.
:cry:
So being computer illiterate, could someone please enlighten this old clod and tell how to get the damn ports to work? I would be so humbly grateful.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Was Santa laughing?

Post by Neil Gordon »

RonE58 wrote:Every one had a laugh when I put Christmas labels on gifts that stated they were 'To Windrush, from Santa.'
You impersonated Santa? There's more risk there than spitting into the wind or whistling. Please tell me you were just helping the real Santa.

By the way, I'm all set to go, with the 2007 edition of Eldridge.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Lew Gresham

Post by Lew Gresham »

Well, I got a 2 meter handheld ham radio, and have already modified it to get all the marine channels. How bout that! 73's
Weekender
hull #914
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Morveren got:

Post by Warren S »

- Brion Toss's "Going Aloft", so that she will have healthy sheaves at the mast head, while avoiding human body-shaped dings on the topsides.

- CDSOA cap (ok, that was for me, thanks Judy)! It could be said that a properly dressed helmsman is a happy halsmsman, and isn't that always better for the boat...?

- Antigua Classic video - 'cause we just can't get enough.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Oops - P. S.

Post by Warren S »

How could I forget the biggie:

- one rebuilt Hurth HBW50 <sigh>
John Danicic

full speed ahead.....

Post by John Danicic »

After three years of asking Santa for one, Mariah got a new Edson, chrome throttle lever to replace the fragile plastic one that was always on the brink of breaking. A worthy update from my wife. Thanks Kim!

Sail on.

John Danicic
CD 36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Santa

Post by RIKanaka »

Loos Tension Gauge, pretty boring, I know.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Bill Sonntag

Practical Gift

Post by Bill Sonntag »

I box of 100 6/32x1/4 slotted filister machine screws - only needed three but had to buy 100 - Cape Dory seems pleased though!

Bill Sonntag
CD 31
Surprise
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

WARREN, MY SUGGESTION TO YOU

Post by Oswego John »

. . . . is to use a chin strap with such a fine cap as the CDSOA one is. Literally speaking, one fine evening I went for a sunset sail with another member and his son on his CD 27. Yes, I committed the unpardonable error

When you are at the helm, (no matter whether a tiller or a wheel) :D -big grin, you have a strong tendency to look up at the sails or the windex. That's when the wind gets under the visor and, POOF.

Well, I suppose that the moral of the story, if there is one, is that a favorite cap in the drink provides a great opportunity to come about for a MOB or COB drill.

Work fast, they don't float forever.

Have a safe, healthy, happy New Year.
O J
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

...which is exactly what happened...

Post by Warren S »

earlier this year renting a J22 the same day we were to meet the broker and lay eyes on (for the first time) the CD 270 we now own. It was one of those straw gardening hats. In retrospect, I'm surprised it stayed on as long as it did!!

I'll take that suggestion, OJ.
John Martin

Christmas

Post by John Martin »

KnoTy Boy got a nice, shiny, bright red spinnaker. And, drawing inspiration from the Annual CD Meeting in Annapolis last November, Nancy got me a Concertina.

JM
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985