Is Sta-Bil (the gas stabilizer) needed or useful for Diesel

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

rhunter
Location: CP 23/3,CP16, Alberg 22,Bayfield 25.CD admirer-looking for right boat

Is Sta-Bil (the gas stabilizer) needed or useful for Diesel

Post by rhunter »

I have an 11 gal(US) tank and try to keep it reasonably full.Do I need to add Sta-Bil over the winter. I run the motor at least once a month and will keep the boat in the water this winter in a fresh water lake in Georgia.
bottomscraper

Good Question!

Post by bottomscraper »

It works and is a great thing for gas. I add it to every can of gas I buy for use with small engines. I haven't had a carb problem with any engine since I started using it. (I thought I did with our dingy motor this summer but I think it was really a stuck reed. I cleaned the carb, changed the plug etc and it still ran bad but one day I ran it wide open for a few minutes and it ran great ever since.)

They do say that it is also good for diesel but I haven't ever used it. I guess it wouldn't hurt!
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
tartansailor

Not Really

Post by tartansailor »

StaBil is an anti-oxidant, and is great for keeping gasoline from oxidative decomposition. Diesel on the other hand supports organisms that multiply, form slime, and excrete water. The recommendation is to visit a truck stop and pick out something that is specifically intended for diesel fuel.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Post by Jim Sullivan »

I would recommend adding a stabilizer. As previously noted, Stabil can be used for diesel. I have also used it without any problems.

I now use Pri-D which is specifically for diesel and is available in many marine supply stores. I was told that many truckers use Pri-D in their vehicles. Whenever I top off the tank, I add the recommended volume of Pri-D for the amount of fuel added and also a biocide. I.M.H.O., a stabilizer and biocide are very important for maintaining the quality of the stored fuel.

Jim
Bill Sonntag

BioBar

Post by Bill Sonntag »

Use BioBar for diesel storage and every time you fill the tank- inhibits growth of butgs, scum etc.

Bill Sonntag
CD 31
Surprise