L.E.D. power-on lights question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike C

L.E.D. power-on lights question

Post by Mike C »

I wired a small blue LED from the master switch to a place above the nav table as a reminder that power is ON. So when I look back to drop the hatch boards in place I can see that all power to master switch is off. Or still left ON

The one thing I would like to change is to make that blue LED blink, say once every two seconds to catch the eyes attention. Does anyone know how to do that.

I'm told that a simple resistor and capacitor in series should do the trick but how????
Last edited by Mike C on Dec 14th, '06, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Blinking LED

Post by Gary M »

Hey Mike,

My electronics store used to sell LED's that blinked. (before they closed!) I'll check around this weekend.

Gary
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

As for all-in-one LED's,

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

only found red, green and yellow colors. Packaged IC's that blink can be speciallized, but a standard IC w/ some discreet components can do the job to convert a blue non-blinking led.
rtbates

blinking led

Post by rtbates »

You could do what I've done to make my scale model light houses, latest one is a 5' Cape Hattras, blink at the correct rate. I used a 555 timer IC and associated caps and resistors to adjust the on/off timing. If you do a google search of '555 timer' you'll get lots of cook book circuit diagrams.

That said, I'd do what the others have suggested and simply buy an LED that blinks!! Then again, my panel indicator light is non functioning and has been since I bought Seraph over 5 years ago, but seeing as how it's about 8" from the main ON/OFF/ON switch I just look at the switch. If it's pitch black and I can't see the panel, I shine the flashlight I'm carrying on it. For me it's not a problem that I've felt compelled to fix. But that's just me.

Good luck
Randy 25D Seraph #161
John Martin

LED

Post by John Martin »

Try LEDtronics. I just found this web site the other night. Not even sure if they have what you want. JM
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985