Typhoon Drifter and spinnaker

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Keith Wood

Typhoon Drifter and spinnaker

Post by Keith Wood »

I purchased a Daysailor that came with excellent 1.5 oz Hood drifter, and spinnaker. I can use either one on the Daysailor or on my Weekender, but to use on Weekender I will have to fix block at masthead since the Weekender is fractional rig, and Daysailor is masthead rigged. Don't need both sails and haven't used either yet, but not sure which to sell. Any thoughts or recommendations?
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Drifter vs. Spinnaker

Post by bhartley »

Glad to see someone else with a fleet!

For me the decision would be based on where and with whom you sail. We get a lot of use out of the spinnaker on Ariel because we sail on a large lake where the wind can be a little dicey during the summer. The spinnaker gives us a little more sail and something fun to do in light air.

We sail our Typhoon up in Salem/Marblehead and there's usually plenty of wind and I single hand a lot. There the drifter would be a nice addition for the light air days. Unlikely I'd ever use a symetrical spinnaker alone other than to prove a point!

Our 25D came with an asymetrical spinnaker. It will stay on the lake and I think it will be a great option for singlehanding on lighter days -- and still fun when there are two of us.

The mechanics of adding a bail is nominal on the Typhoon. The mast is light and easy to handle. Do you have a pole? A standard spinnaker (symetrical) needs a pole and they are relatively pricey. No pole? I'd sell the spinnaker.

If you're using the Ty's as trainers for kids, family or whomever -- the spinnaker is a nice addition.

So much for my thoughts!!! I'd keep them both until you've used them on the daysailer since it needs no modification.

From past experience, the drifter will sell for more than the spinnaker if money is more of an issue than which to keep.

Cheers,

Bly

Typhoon #1163 "Miranda"
Sea Sprite #527 "Ariel"
CD-25D #184 TBD...