knotty cleat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Back on topic--how boring!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Oh yeah, Neil, the original question:

Well, IMHO the first thing to remember when cleating is to pass the line under both horns before starting your figure-eights.

Finishing the cleat is usually done by passing the end under the last loop so it lies parallel to the previous loop--but this isn't strictly necessary.

However, I've seen plenty of capable seamen make multiple figure-eights and not true off the last loop.

And finally, you should coil or flemish the excess line close to the cleat, but not on top of it.

Based on what I can decipher from the blurry image that started this thread, the person who created the gordian knot in question didn't pass the line around the base of the cleat. Also, it seems that he or she decided to use the cleat to store excess line, rather than coiling it close to but not on the cleat.

Am I right about this?

--Joe

Oh, I'd like to add a knot to John V.'s list, although it doesn't come undone very easily under pressure: the buntline hitch. It's a great way to attach snaphooks and shackles to lines if you're too lazy or unsure of yourself to make an eyesplice.

It's a knot you can live without, but once learned, it has lots of uses aboard a sailboat.
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Clove Hitch

Post by Dan & Pat »

When I was being "schooled" at the Cuttyhunk Jr. Yacht Club, we were also taught the CLOVE HITCH. It is functional on a piling because it won't slide, and won't bind on itself to the point where it can not be untied with minimal effort.

It probably has another name, but is basically two half hitches in opposite directions, with the ends coming out the middle. It can be finished off with another half hitch over the bight.

http://www.goals.com/vyc/knots/clove.htm

BTW - sorry about the 'fuzzy' picture, it was taken with my cell phone. :D

Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.