removing yanmar fuel filter

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RonE58

removing yanmar fuel filter

Post by RonE58 »

Is there a particular tool or method to remove a yanmar fuel filter so one can replace the element. I tried a channel lock wrench but it was impossible to fit it into such a confined area.
Ron
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Yanmar

Post by Ron Turner »

Ron,

I've seen such a wrench but not recently. The usual method from my experience is a flat long thing like a big screwdriver or chisel and a compact hard thing like a hammer. Just make sure it is turning off and not on (loosen vs tighten). Sometimes when you get upside down and turned around you loose track of lefty loosy, righty tighty.
Ron Turner
JWEells
Location: The Typhoon "Valaskjalf" (#1842), in Lake Arrowhead, California.

Bicycle wrenches

Post by JWEells »

I think the tool you're looking for is called a "cone wrench", and they are very flat steel spanners. Extraordinarily useful. Probably have to order one from Park Tools or go to a really good bicycle shop that sells such things. Might have to do some alterations, too, to get it to fit properly, etc. Still, you're already halfway there once you get the thingy.
Cuique Sententia Mea
John Vigor

Post by John Vigor »

Never mind fuel filters and bicycle wrenches, I'm always awed and fascinated by anyone who can sign off his message in Latin.
What does "Cuique Sententia Mea" actually mean in real money?
Is that Roman for "Them's My Sentiments?"

Yrs. etc.,
Cum Grano Salis

From Vigor's Rules for Life:
10. Skoff's Law: "A child will never spill upon a dirty floor."
JWEells

Aww, shucks

Post by JWEells »

Thanks, John. I've become rather an admirer of your books, by the way. I'm new at this boat thing, and they help.

My motto for years has been, in English, "Everybody's entitled to my opinion", but then I decided to make it a Latin phrase. The actual mechanics of getting the literal phrase from English to Latin was horrifying. It wouldn't fit on the letterhead, a personal card, a t-shirt, nuthin'. So "To everyone my thoughts" was my economical compromise. You got it just right.
Cuique Sententia Mea
John Vigor

Such erudition

Post by John Vigor »

Wonderful motto. I just love it.

Maybe if you got together with Carter Brey the two of you could produce a whole post in Latin and win the Cape Dory Board a prestigious prize for literary excellence in the boating message board category.

Ave atque vale!

John V.
JWEells

The Roman Mariners

Post by JWEells »

Not a bad idea. Except, maybe, for that broad inaccessibility to which the post would be subject. A bunch of dead Romans would read it. And that brings me to my Subject line! I read this week of a Roman galley that had been shipwrecked 2000 years ago, and has been lying a mile off the Mediterranean coast of Spain in 100 feet of water or so. Amazing. Practically intact. It was discovered by fishermen who dropped anchor and pulled up an amphora when they weighed anchor to leave. Wouldn't THAT just tickle your archaeology-bone!

I've been toying for years with getting a degree in archaeology and spending my middle age and personal antiquity looking for the Lost Cities of Forever, or something like that.

And by the way, it is windier than usual up here in my mountains (San Bernardino). Wonder what it's like down below?
Cuique Sententia Mea
jneely

Filter Tool

Post by jneely »

A paint stirrer and a hammer will do the trick. The wood is hard enough to move the filter ring, but soft enough to not damage it. A few gentle taps usually do the trick.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Such erudition

Post by Carter Brey »

John Vigor wrote:Wonderful motto. I just love it.

Maybe if you got together with Carter Brey the two of you could produce a whole post in Latin and win the Cape Dory Board a prestigious prize for literary excellence in the boating message board category.

Ave atque vale!

John V.
Ioannes:

Quot culi, tot sententiae.

Carter
JWEells

Yes, butt...

Post by JWEells »

:D
Cuique Sententia Mea
John Vigor

Congratulations Cartero

Post by John Vigor »

Well, congratulations, Cartero, you just made history by creating the Cape Dory Board's first message entirely in Latin. I knew you could do it, even if you had to misquote Terence and substitute a naughty word for homines.

Wow! What will the sailing world think of us Cape Dorians now? Buncha nerds? Or yachting geniuses? (Genii? Help me here, willya?)

Cheers,

John V.

From Vigor's Rules for Life:
12. The Bedfellows' Rule: "The one who snores will fall asleep first."