How to make my 25D longer!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

car1260

How to make my 25D longer!

Post by car1260 »

Hi,
We want to run the Tampa Bay to Isla Majeres, Mexico race on April 27, 2007. Unfortunately, we have been informed that we have to have an overall length of at least 28 feet. We are thinking of adding a monitor windvane. Does anyone know if that would or could add the additional 3' we need to race?
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Contact the Organizers for Rules Interpretations

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Easiest way to figure that out would be to either read the rest of the rules or contact the organizers. I would imagine that they have specs on every boat that is eligible and the CD25D doesn't fit their criteria. Usually this limit is a matter of their jaundiced view of seaworthiness or speed based on LWL.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
rhunter
Location: CP 23/3,CP16, Alberg 22,Bayfield 25.CD admirer-looking for right boat

Post by rhunter »

I have a Bayfield 25 with an inboard yanmar diesel.So it's similar in size to your CD25.A PO put a real teak swim platform on the boat .It is a hard mount and has a swing down 4 step ladder. I can't begin to tell you how much we have enjoyed the platform.It really makes swimming easy-getting in and out of the water.The dog loves to sit on it while we are swimming. Makes good storage for fuel cans,ice chest,ect while sailing or motoring.I have even used the ladder to climb on while the boat was on a trailer.I plan to have this feature on any future boats.It really does not distract from the looks of the boat.It has added about 3 ft to the length and has never been a problem. On my next boat I will probably make it a swing down platform. An extra 3 or 4 feet can add up if you are charged by the foot at transient docks. Bob
barfwinkle

Regatta de Amigos

Post by barfwinkle »

you might just ask the committee for an exception to the rule? I did four years ago and was granted permission to enter. However, I was never able to get it all together for the regatta!!!!!

Good Luck
Bill Member #250.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Car1260,

I have seen S Vs with a rear sprit attached to the fantail. If one sprit is used, an aft stay is attached to the extended sprit as a main boom support..

If two sprits are used, lift rafts or dinks are suspended outbord of the stern. With a little ingenuity, I bet that at least three feet could be added to the overall length. It provides added storage space for extra provisions.

FWIW, Good luck,
O J