Depth Transducer Testing Out Of The Water

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bottomscraper

Depth Transducer Testing Out Of The Water

Post by bottomscraper »

We are replacing the instruments on Mahalo with Raymarine ST60+ instruments. After several emails and phone calls I was able to locate a long stem bronze transducer that is a close match with the old Datamarine transducer in size and shape but should work with the Raymarine ST60+ instruments. Since it's a thru-hull transducer I was hoping to test it before I install it. I filled a large plastic garbage can with water and mounted the transducer on a piece of 2x4. I hooked up the instrument and transducer to one of those portable battery jump start things (it has a 12V socket). I get very erratic readings mostly 15+ feet. The instrument also came with a short stem plastic transducer so I figured I would try that. I also get the same type of behavior. Melissa suggested a big rock in the bottom to give it a better surface. That only made it worse! I suspect that garbage can testing has some technical problems with side reflections.

I guess we will need to take the dingy out on the local lake and try it there.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Rich,

Where did you find such a beast? And how did you find out it was compaitable with the ST60+?

Bob
Boyd

Testing

Post by Boyd »

Whats wrong with haning it over the side of a dock in a real body of water? I tested my transducer that way.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
bottomscraper

Where did you find such a beast?

Post by bottomscraper »

Gemeco Marine Accessories LLC
1141 S. Ron McNair Blvd.
Lake City, South Carolina 29560

Phone 843-210-7000

Fax 843-210-7170

Gemeco is the distributer (owned by Airmar) but they also sell other brands. The transducer I purchased is a "Radarsonics Model 205". They also sell a Airmar B3 (not listed on the Airmar site). There seems to be a bit of confusion about the dimensions of the B3. They said that the B3 had better shallow water performance but the head diameter was larger. Troy Scott purchased a B3 and his matches the dimensions of the 205.

Radarsonics Web Site

Airmar Web Site

Bob L wrote:Rich,

Where did you find such a beast? And how did you find out it was compaitable with the ST60+?

Bob
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
bottomscraper

Re: Testing

Post by bottomscraper »

Great idea but we don't have a dock handy! We normally keep Mahalo about a 2 hour drive from our house. The small local lake is only about 2 miles away but it only has a launch ramp, no dock.

Boyd wrote:Whats wrong with haning it over the side of a dock in a real body of water? I tested my transducer that way.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
bottomscraper

Dingy Testing Results : Two Thumbs Up

Post by bottomscraper »

Today we took the dingy out. Both transducers work just fine. My conclusion is garbage can testing just doesn't work!
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
Duncan Maio

Re: Testing

Post by Duncan Maio »

Boyd wrote:Whats wrong with haning it over the side of a dock in a real body of water? I tested my transducer that way.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Up here in the world, water is often a little more distant than down in the land of back-yard 'gators.

Heck, we can get to 9 feet above sea level without taking the stairs!
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI